• Total Topics: 70247
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 49
Total: 51

Author Topic: Orchidee's New Tank...at last!  (Read 1463 times)

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
  • Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 162
  • -Receive: 6657
  • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
Re: Fluval Roma 125 on the way ... what shall I put in it?!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 08:34:03 am »
It does depend on how old they were when you got them, Platies have around a 3-4 year lifespan max, but can get worn out due to heat, in-breeding, having fry, overeating, being harassed by males.
Females especially are susceptible whilst giving birth when very young or very old.
There are rumours that livebearers have their own internal problems, but I've never found a definitive on that. Can't say it's impossible though.
Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
Ian

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Orchidee

• Thank You
    • -Given: 40
    • -Receive: 2
    « Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 12:55:15 am »
    Ah ok that is all useful information. I think the pair I bought must've already been relatively old, they were a good size. My mum did say they probably died of old age but I knew they were supposed to live 3-4 years as you say so I didn't think it could be that. One of the others I lost definitely had fry too young. The males have long since been rehomed so no one is being harrassed any more, tank temp is 22 but it does get hot in my living room in the summer, from 24 up to nearly 30 degrees when we've had very warm weather the past few summers :(

Totally gutted as my tank was supposed to arrive today, I called Hagen at 4 to find out where it might be, they said it was scheduled to be here between 4-5, but it never came, and no phone call or email or anything to explain. :(

Online Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 08:54:25 am »
    So frustrating when things don't turn up on time  :(
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Orchidee

• Thank You
    « Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 06:42:14 am »
    Well I happened to not be well this week so I was able to wait in, but I can't have time off work to wait in for a fishtank, so I've actually asked them to cancel the order  *bye3* So gutted but obviously it was not to be *cry*

I'd already ordered some nice dark sand from Swell, so I decided that since I can't have the big tank  *cry* I would swap out that pea gravel for sand. So last night everyone moved into a large plastic storage box, stuck the heater in to keep them warm, and the filter to save the bacteria. Changing over the substrate took a bit longer than I was anticipating (mainly because of having to sort out all the plants I removed and then replanted) but all my fishy friends look happy this morning.

An emergency trip to Pets at Home yielded their last two bags of plant nutrition substrate. I bought three rotala rotundifolia plants to replace a mad hygrophilia which has been plotting world domination in the back of my tank since I first set it up - would've been great in a larger tank I think but was too tall and invasive for my 60L. So it's looking a bit bare back there now but I'm sure they'll fill out in no time. Re-doing my existing tank has given me nearly as much of a buzz as setting up a brand new would have! There were a few things I wasn't happy with because I was complete beginner when I set it up initially so it feels good to have it straightened out a bit *ok*

I'm aware the gravel will have contained a large amount of beneficial bacteria and the conditions in the tank may be a bit unstable while the sand develops its own colony so I'll test the water later today and start a temporary regime of daily water changes just to make sure.

Now I don't know whether to sell that U4 filter I've got hanging around, or hold onto my dream and hope a bigger tank comes my way when the stars align!

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 11:01:32 am »
    Thats a shame :( i’m sure you’ll manage to get the bigger tank soon (at least i hope you can).
    Funnily enough rearranging the tank can make a difference and make it feel fresh and new ;)

Offline Orchidee

• Thank You
    « Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 12:20:35 pm »
    Soooo... After the Fluval fiasco I have now ordered a JUWEL Primo 110, not quite as big but still an improvement on my Rekord 600. Every time I look at my tank I just feel sad for the fish that they don't have a bit more room to stretch their legs, as it were.  I think the Primo will be a more sensible option because it means it will go in the same spot in my living room, whereas the Fluval would've had to go in my bedroom where it wouldn't get seen as much. Also the Primo is costing me less than half as much, phew.

Not sure what my fish are going to say about this as I only changed over their substrate the weekend before last, they might be a bit annoyed to find themselves back in a bucket so soon (not to mention the plants 😬) but hopefully they will enjoy it once everything's settled down again! Obviously the goldfish idea is out the window. That'll have to wait until I have space for a metre+ long tank on the ground floor!

Offline Orchidee

• Thank You
    Re: Orchidee's New Tank...at last!
    « Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 08:04:23 am »
    Ok so it's finally happened! The Primo 110 arrived yesterday and within a matter of hours everyone was in and out of a 45L plastic storage box and settled into their new home. After the disappointment of the Roma no-show, I actually think things have worked out much better, as my previous tank was a Juwel I've been able to stick my old filter sponges straight in and I have spares etc. I *was* planning to sell the 60L but I'm really tempted to set it up in my bedroom now as I have enough of everything left over (sand etc) to do it  *laugh* I'm thinking guppies...

I know people here may not approve due to my hard water but as I previously had four happy otos, I've added two more and they seem even more cheerful this morning, darting about or sticking to the glass in a group, very cute. I also got four tiny baby panda corys and two bronze corys which are already about 4cm long and the biggest fish in the tank! I know they prefer soft water but my son has wanted corys since we set up our first tank, and now I've switched over to sand, and the otos have been doing ok, I decided to go for it. I will let you know how they get on.

I just can't get over how much better the new tank looks, now they have space to swim a bit more freely. I was always worrying about the inhabitants of my old tank but now I feel they have a really good home, I think I'll be able to relax and enjoy it a bit more. Will post a photo soon too :) *fish2*

Offline Orchidee

• Thank You
    « Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 08:20:42 am »
    Quick update - my son has now named all the fish. The four platys are Lemonade, Violet (named after her mother), Ginger and Indigo. The panda corys are Pandy, Mandy, Candy and Sandy, the bronzes are Bronzey and Pete, and the six otos are Otocinky, Minky, Pinky, Blinky, Othinky and Stinky  *applause* *applause* *applause*

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 08:49:15 am »
    Nice :)

Can your son tell the pandas and otos apart? ;) *grin*
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Orchidee

• Thank You
    « Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 09:07:47 am »
    Haha, yeah I don't know how we're supposed to know which of the poor otos is Stinky, they all look identical  *grin* The pandas are all small but slightly different sizes and markings but when your name is either Mandy, Pandy, Sandy or Candy, I'm not sure it makes much difference to them  *grin* *grin* *grin*

Offline Orchidee

• Thank You
    « Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 03:38:54 pm »
    Sooo I was busy cleaning the 60L ready to be set up for guppys in my son's room, when madness struck and I decided that instead I would sell it, and order another Primo 110. I was going to get a stand for the 60L but then thought if I was going to spend money on it, I might as well get a new one, and it's so much nicer watching the fish when they have a bit more space *blink* It's gonna be a guppy paradise *wave*

*goes back to frantically ebaying worldly possessions*