• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

Author Topic: Sailfin Pleco  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Fishtales

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
Sailfin Pleco
« on: February 13, 2019, 02:21:58 am »
Hi guys, a couple of days ago I noticed some large light sandy brown marks on my plec. They are all over him. Its hard to get a good look as he dives for cover if I put the light on in the room and although he comes out through the day again he dives for cover whenever I aproach the tank ( that at least is normal behaviour). There doesnt appear to be any change in his eating and his waste (poo) is the same. He is obviously still swimming around but I am really concerned by his change in appearance.

Any advice would be much appreciated.I have found two images on the internet that look similar in colour and shapes, the first looks a lot worse than my plec.

http://andysworld.org.uk/aquablog/bblog/pictures/2560e06b093c9ec0c3344621bf86f40d.jpg

The second looks better than my plec, mine has more marks.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi41.tinypic.com%2F5n17r7.jpg&hash=e0b4a9ef9ed716dfa5b2d78a805915b6

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 86
    • -Receive: 363
    Re: Sailfin Pleco
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 06:27:07 am »
    Hi. Second picture won’t open for me but the first is showing the typical stress pattern of a Plec. Diving for cover when you approach is Not normal behaviour. If it has been doing it for a while it’s seriously stressed...

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:56:53 am »
    It should be ok (just) in a 5' tank, is there loads of cover?
    What else is in there to act as dithers?
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Fishtales

• Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:38:50 am »
    I meant diving cover was the normal behaviour I have had with him as long as I have owned him. There is a cave and his favourite place that he has claimed for his own is a submarine although I think this may be getting to small for him.
    I have guppies and black widows.

ETA The aquarium is in my front sitting room which is rarely used, therefore he is not used to much movement outside the aquarium, so he does get spooked when I go around the tank. I normally sit on the couch and then he swims about so I can look at him. It is just difficult to get up close without him hiding.
    « Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:50:17 am by Fishtales »

Offline Fishtales

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 12:36:52 pm »
    It should be ok (just) in a 5' tank, is there loads of cover?
    What else is in there to act as dithers?

Thinking about plenty of cover, I have added another piece of wood from my spare tank. I have put it so he can go under it & into the open cave and put a couple of fake plants around it. This should give him an extra place to go to.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 05:07:55 pm »
    Can you get a pic of the tank? It sounds quite spartan, which may be part of the problem. ;)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 05:11:35 pm »
    Diving for cover Is ‘normal’ for a lot of fish when they’re in a room that’s not often used, because they never get used to people.

Has anything happened in the last few days to stress it further? Could be water... a ‘bad batch’ of tap water??

Offline Fishtales

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 11:42:16 pm »
    Can you get a pic of the tank? It sounds quite spartan, which may be part of the problem. ;)

I think you're right, I don't have enough shaded areas, I am going to get some more caves and plants and redo the tank layout to offer more cover for him. The tank space is very open at the moment.

Offline Fishtales

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51:23 pm »
    Diving for cover Is ‘normal’ for a lot of fish when they’re in a room that’s not often used, because they never get used to people.

Has anything happened in the last few days to stress it further? Could be water... a ‘bad batch’ of tap water??

I took all of the decs out to clean a few days ago, then when I did the water change I forgot to put the heaters back on for a few hours (4-5hrs)

As this sounds like stress I feel just awful. As mentioned above in my reply to plankton I will redo the tank for him, give him more shelter so he feels safer. Also I will start spending a bit more time in the room & try to get him more comfortable with me.

Picture quality is terrible but you might just be able to see tank layout.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 01:07:51 am by Fishtales »

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 07:54:23 am »
    The blackskirts actually need it a lot warmer than guppies to stay healthy, what temp is it at now the heater's on?
    Yes it is a bit spartan. I understand the use of plastic plants with the plec though. ;)

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Fishtales

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 11:21:27 am »
    Hi plankton my temp in the tank is 78. I know it's been said here that guppies need a lower temp, but I have read on multiple sites that this is the optimal temp (esp for breeding) for them & that up to 80 is acceptable. I know some don't agree with this but my guppies have done well in this.
    I have my 2 original guppies  still going strong at  over 19 months old & the younger ones are thriving. I had checked a lot of sites before I got them & the temp was in the range these sites stated. It was only when I joined here I became aware this was possibly an issue.
    It is very difficult with the amount of varying info on fish to know when you are getting it right or wrong, & not having found this forum at the time I went with what seemed to be the most consistent opinion.

ETA If this is a big issue for my guppies I would be prepared to set my 125lt tank up and put them in there if you think that would be a good idea :)

Offline Twimperology

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 2
    « Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 02:36:11 pm »
    In my experience common/sailfin plecos are cowards are like to hide. Mine will come out while I'm in the room but as soon as I go near the tank he'll go back into his cave or behind plants the corner. I think it's pretty common for them to like to hide.

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 02:37:18 pm »
    The temperatures given online and in books have, historically, tended to be “summer” temperatures, so we’ve been keeping most of our fish permanently in their breeding season over the years. Guppies natural habitat ranges from about 62 to 82. The mid-to-lower half is generally considered preferable, but they’re ok at 78... imo. Especially as they’ve been captive for countless generations and are well adapted to conditions outside of natural. They’ll even live in soft water these days...

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 07:42:19 am »
    I've kept my guppies at 72F for 20 years with no problems....... ;)

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Fishtales

• Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 01:29:30 pm »
     *fish*
    I've kept my guppies at 72F for 20 years with no problems....... ;)

It sounds like you keep your guppies at the perfect temp, lucky guppies  *grin*

Honestly I got my fish thinking how soothing they would be! The anxieties I have suffered over them in the relatively short time Ive had them has been anything but, lol.

Sometimes my head just wants to explode with the amount of information, not to mention contradictions of opinions about them   *frantic* :wacko:

Still I love them and will persevere :)