• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

Author Topic: New Dwarf Cichlid Tank  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Rdel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 0
Re: New Dwarf Cichlid Tank
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 09:54:01 pm »
Apisto Agassizi update:

Got eggs on the roof of the red cave now woohoo! Too scared to take a picture yet incase I spook her and she eats them or something.

It's actually very interesting to watch. Two females, who up until now have got on fine are now squaring up to each other and the male is continually putting himself into the middle of them to split up the fighting. More 'break in site' plants to be added shortly.

The two female bettas have been moved into the main tank now as the male apisto was giving them a hard time and the endlers are on gumtree to get rehomed. That'll leave the apistos in there themselves, although couple of juvenile L183's still to go in as soon as I can source them, and we'll see how they do by themselves. If they seem to withdraw I'll look at getting a dither fish for them again but a more appropriate soft/acidic/at top kind.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. At this rate I may never die! - Calvin and Hobbes

Fluval Roma 240L with Fluval 406                    Juwel 125L with Powkoo Sponge/Fluval U4

RTBS                                                             3 Apistogramma Agassizii
5 Angelfish                                                     4 Zebra Nerites
2 Female Bettas (refugees from another tank)
6 Albino (Bronze) Corys
5 Peppered Corys
2 Bristlenose Plecos +1 Juvenile
11 Cardinal Tetras
2 Bolivian Rams
2 Zebra Nerites
1 Military Helmet Snail
1 Large White Nerite Snail
4 Cherry Shrimp
4 Fan Shrimp

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #31 on: April 20, 2019, 07:37:43 pm »
    Good news with the eggs.
    I read that it is the female apistos that fight over territory.
    I just have one female and one male Apistogramma trifasciata (wild caught) that are quite tiny at the moment.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Rdel

• Thank You
    • -Given: 54
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #32 on: April 24, 2019, 09:43:55 am »
    She ate them :/

She's also quite young so putting it down to inexperience. I've also added more plants, more privacy in her cave ect.

After the fish move I was left with one male and three females, which all had their own cave. For some reason the male is terrorising one of the females. she went nearly jet black from stress so I had to move her into my bigger main tank. Anyone any idea why he would go for her? He's fine with the two females that are left.

I just have one female and one male Apistogramma trifasciata (wild caught) that are quite tiny at the moment.

Nice fish Stephen. Is the plan to see if they'll breed when a big bigger?

I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. At this rate I may never die! - Calvin and Hobbes

Fluval Roma 240L with Fluval 406                    Juwel 125L with Powkoo Sponge/Fluval U4

RTBS                                                             3 Apistogramma Agassizii
    5 Angelfish                                                     4 Zebra Nerites
    2 Female Bettas (refugees from another tank)
    6 Albino (Bronze) Corys
    5 Peppered Corys
    2 Bristlenose Plecos +1 Juvenile
    11 Cardinal Tetras
    2 Bolivian Rams
    2 Zebra Nerites
    1 Military Helmet Snail
    1 Large White Nerite Snail
    4 Cherry Shrimp
    4 Fan Shrimp

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 09:46:04 pm »
    She ate them :/

She's also quite young so putting it down to inexperience. I've also added more plants, more privacy in her cave ect.

After the fish move I was left with one male and three females, which all had their own cave. For some reason the male is terrorising one of the females. she went nearly jet black from stress so I had to move her into my bigger main tank. Anyone any idea why he would go for her? He's fine with the two females that are left.

Nice fish Stephen. Is the plan to see if they'll breed when a big bigger?
    I have no plans on breeding fish, if it happens then it happens.
    I plan on adding some small breeding caves (clay pipe) in the next few weeks (just in case).
    It would be nice to breed certain species in the future but it's not my intention for the immediate future but maybe sometime in future.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen