• Total Topics: 70248
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Author Topic: Newbie Juwel Lido 200  (Read 522 times)

Offline Khianu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Newbie Juwel Lido 200
« on: March 02, 2019, 05:36:43 pm »
Hey guys,

Relative newbie here, I've had a biube (it was a gift, I didn't know, I'm sorry!) set up in past with half a dozen endlers in but that was the limit of my experience. Good thing I enjoy doing research.

My partner bought me a Juwel Lido 200 from LFS Maidenhead Aquatics Basingstoke for my birthday and so I jumped online to do my research, and subsequently spend lots of money. First thing was to upgrade the pump in the filter from 600 to 1000l/h, and rearrange the media to include lots of bags of biohome media instead of plain sponges. Bought substrate which involved a few reduced (split) bags of mismatched substrate which ultimately ended up in us doing half the floor with sand and the other half with gravel (it actually came out pretty good). On top of that we have driftwood and a variety of easy care plants which were added this week (pics below).

In terms of stocking I've always said that when I got a larger tank I wanted gouramis, so I'd like to get some yellow honey gouramis as a top ish level fish. Then I'd like to have a couple of schools, maybe 10 endlers and 10 rummy nose tetra, then corys or kuhli loaches at the bottom.

I have today tested the water and discovered to my deep disappointment that our tap water has around 40ppm nitrates. Is this a deal breaker? If I keep water changes frequent and keep the aquarium well planted can I get by? Do I need to drop lots of money on a reverse osmosis filter? I'm in Basingstoke so the water is very hard and the ph high, though the driftwood helps.

I have nevertheless added ammonia to the tank to start the cycle and will keep you posted with how it progresses.

Sorry for the brain dump. All thoughts, recommendations and advice welcome!

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    Re: Newbie Juwel Lido 200
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 06:19:29 pm »
    In terms of stocking I've always said that when I got a larger tank I wanted gouramis, so I'd like to get some yellow honey gouramis as a top ish level fish. Then I'd like to have a couple of schools, maybe 10 endlers and 10 rummy nose tetra, then corys or kuhli loaches at the bottom.

Basingstoke water is hard at around 15.5dGH (degrees German hardness) with an average pH of pH7.6.
    It is best to stock fish species that are suitable to your water (which is hard).
    This is ideal for Endlers but not good for soft water fish species such as corydoras, Kuhli loach, honey gourami, rummy-nose tetra.
    There are however other hard water fish species (besides endlers) that would love your hard water.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Khianu

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 06:32:56 pm »

Basingstoke water is hard at around 15.5dGH (degrees German hardness) with an average pH of pH7.6.
    It is best to stock fish species that are suitable to your water (which is hard).
    This is ideal for Endlers but not good for soft water fish species such as corydoras, Kuhli loach, honey gourami, rummy-nose tetra.
    There are however other hard water fish species (besides endlers) that would love your hard water.
    Thanks Stephen. Is there anything I can do to make it possible to keep them? I did consider that a livebearers tank would be more suited to the Basingstoke water, swordtails, mollys and guppies tank with maybe snails at the bottom, not sure what bottom feeders are happy in hard water? But they don't excite me in the same way. Between the hard water and 40ppm nitrates (I've been drinking this!) sounds like I might need an ro filter anyway. This hobby is expensive!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Khianu

• Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 07:53:18 pm »
    Maybe this would be an option? https://www.spotlesswater.co.uk/news/story/reading-pure-water-filling-station

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 09:12:36 pm »
    Maybe this would be an option? https://www.spotlesswater.co.uk/news/story/reading-pure-water-filling-station
    If this pure water is RO water (reverse osmosis) then it can be mixed with tap water at say 60%(RO):40%(tap) to give you approx. 6dGH hardness.
    That would be acceptable for the soft water fish species that you listed but not for the endlers which need hard water.
    Obviously you can't have it both ways.
    60% of 200L is 120L and would cost £3.60 to start. then if you do say 40% water changes each week then it would cost a further £1.40-£1.50 a week (always pre-mix RO with tap water at the correct ratio before adding to the fish tank).
    The alternative would be to install your own RO unit.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Khianu

• Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 10:47:05 pm »
    If this pure water is RO water (reverse osmosis) then it can be mixed with tap water at say 60%(RO):40%(tap) to give you approx. 6dGH hardness.
    That would be acceptable for the soft water fish species that you listed but not for the endlers which need hard water.
    Obviously you can't have it both ways.
    60% of 200L is 120L and would cost £3.60 to start. then if you do say 40% water changes each week then it would cost a further £1.40-£1.50 a week (always pre-mix RO with tap water at the correct ratio before adding to the fish tank).
    The alternative would be to install your own RO unit.
    Thanks Stephen, that's a big help. I'm not attached to the endlers in this tank though I do love them. I'll do some more research on ro setups, house might be a bit small, not sure where I'd put a tank for the pure water but I'll keep thinking. Cheers bud.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 09:04:14 am »
    To try and help the softwater fish, do more water changes, especially to make sure there are no ammonia spikes. ;)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Khianu

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 09:54:43 pm »
    So all going well. Tank is cycling away. Ammonia is consistently 0, just waiting for the nitrates to drop.

Still got issues with hardness, ph and high nitrates (not counting tannin water as high on the issues list at the moment). Spoke to my LFS who sell RO water for £3.50 per 25 litres so think this is the way forward. Ideally want to get to a point where I'm doing 10% water changes (20 litres) roughly 50/50 RO/tap and hope I can keep the nitrates down with that. Wish me luck!

As for stocking I'm thinking
    5 honey gouramis
    10 rummy nose tetra
    5 panda corys

And another 10 schooling fish, maybe dwarf rainbowfish, maybe cardinals to get a different colour in there.