Forum > Ponds.

Taking it outside. Pond log. Experience appreciated.

(1/20) > >>

Si4geckos:
Now I've finally moved in with my girlfriend, we're looking at tackling the meadow that is our back garden. Apart from a new big shed for my toys we're considering reducing the size of the 'lawn' to reduce maintenance (it currently doesn't get any and is a bit of a mess).

We'll probably do a hard surfaced area/ concrete for sitting out, etc, but I suggested a pond would take up grass-space and be cool as well. She is keen and I'm quite excited to come up with a cool pond.

Looking at doing a DIY one. Digging a hole, adding a liner, etc. Ideally want a pump and water feature (waterfall) and to add large fish. I was considering a koi pond, but the cost/ heron attack potential is putting me off. Might just try and find some 'rehoming' massive goldfish when things are sorted. Seen some 8-10" ones around that should look pretty cool.

The idea is to try and build it in front of the patio doors so can be seen clearly from inside.

Current thoughts on size is around 4ft wide and 8-10ft long maybe?

That's my plan/ thoughts so far. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

What sort of filter is best? Seen some that look like an external canister, but do these need to be gravity fed?

Pond size/ per size of fish? Is there a general rule? (Basing it on potentially having up to 1 foot goldfish)

Depth of pond? Deeper the better?

Anything else I may not have considered?

Sonic:
4ft x 8-10ft might make it look like a channel, rather than a pond so visually it might not look great.

Plan it very well, there is a tendency to rush and get them done, but any slight mistakes in the beginning will stand out a mile once its full of water and a functioning pond.

In the summer there will be lots of midges flying over the pond, so having it right outside might not be the best idea. Sight it somewhere where there is some sun, but also shade for part of the day, otherwise green water will be an issue time and time again.

Swelluk.co.uk do some great pond filter and pump combos, good price as well. Always go for the best you can afford and always over filter, pond fish are dirty. Electricity supply outside, make sure it is fitted professionally, and if possible on a separate circuit. I am able to switch my power supply off completely in the garden without affecting the electrics inside my house. Electricity in a pond can be dangerous, so always better to be safe than sorry.

Have lots of shelf space for plants, a well planted pond looks great, and it will look like part of the garden, rather than a hole filled with water. It also takes the nitrates out so helps keep the water clear and not green.

Koi want a bigger pond, Goldfish varieties are great. A nice mix of shubunkins and goldfish will be very pretty. You will want it netted because a Heron will find the pond and eat the fish, as they fly around they see the reflective water and the sun glinting on the water, then they visit and will clear out the pond. 3ft is deep enough for goldfish.

Make it as big as you can. I started off with a 10,000 litre, and now I have a 21,000 litre pond. The last extension made it look huge, but now it looks small again.

Si4geckos:

--- Quote from: Sonic on March 12, 2019, 11:17:33 pm ---4ft x 8-10ft might make it look like a channel, rather than a pond so visually it might not look great.

Plan it very well, there is a tendency to rush and get them done, but any slight mistakes in the beginning will stand out a mile once its full of water and a functioning pond.

In the summer there will be lots of midges flying over the pond, so having it right outside might not be the best idea. Sight it somewhere where there is some sun, but also shade for part of the day, otherwise green water will be an issue time and time again.

Swelluk.co.uk do some great pond filter and pump combos, good price as well. Always go for the best you can afford and always over filter, pond fish are dirty. Electricity supply outside, make sure it is fitted professionally, and if possible on a separate circuit. I am able to switch my power supply off completely in the garden without affecting the electrics inside my house. Electricity in a pond can be dangerous, so always better to be safe than sorry.

Have lots of shelf space for plants, a well planted pond looks great, and it will look like part of the garden, rather than a hole filled with water. It also takes the nitrates out so helps keep the water clear and not green.

Koi want a bigger pond, Goldfish varieties are great. A nice mix of shubunkins and goldfish will be very pretty. You will want it netted because a Heron will find the pond and eat the fish, as they fly around they see the reflective water and the sun glinting on the water, then they visit and will clear out the pond. 3ft is deep enough for goldfish.

Make it as big as you can. I started off with a 10,000 litre, and now I have a 21,000 litre pond. The last extension made it look huge, but now it looks small again.

--- End quote ---

Excellent tips! Size-wise it'll probably grow once I actually get out there and start digging. Hard to really picture dimensions before I get out and actually start planning the garden. Lots to do on the garden, so I've got lots of time to plan everything. I am thinking about 2000 litres, maybe 3000. Initially.

Not considered midges, but it has to be visible from inside, otherwise there's no point in having it.

How do you net it? Do you suspend the net high above the water? Read people have said herons have just stabbed fish through the net and killed them all even though they couldn't actually eat them.

I'll have a look at swell as I only live 20mins from there. But I am considering buying a closing down pond set up to reduce costs potentially if a decent deal turns up.

How did you extend the pond?? Shut it down and rebuild or some other clever method? Any photos of the different stages?

Many thanks for the input.

Sonic:
There are photos of it before the extension but god knows where they are. Probably on a laptop somewhere in the attic.

So initially it was a large hole in the ground. Then I had a small wall built up around it, new liner etc so the height gave it more volume. Then I had it taken apart, extended outwards, and built up even higher so it is now 4ft deep and wider, but not longer.

Netting, I built a structure at first to allow for plants to grow and it looked ok, but then I took the frame apart and stretched the netting across the pond. Drilled some holes in the brickwork, put screws into the holes, and attached the net to the screws, so it is very tight and solid. I live next to woodlands and get Herons here all the time, but they have never attempted to stab my fish. If they tried they would bounce back off the netting because it is stretched so tight across the pond. Usually, if a Heron comes to a netted pond, it will stay for a while checking if its possible to get the fish, and once it realises it can't, it will fly off and not bother trying again for a while, but that doesn't mean new Herons won't give it a try. I do have a few different ones here. I have also had Herons walk across the pond on the netting, hoping it will maybe collapse, but on my pond, it just pulls the netting tighter due to it being attached to screws, so they have no chance.

Picture 3 is during construction, but almost finished.

Si4geckos:
Excellent work.

Think I saw those photos a while back on your thread. I was thinking of building walls up, but the girlfriend didn't like the idea as when she was younger their pop-up pool collapsed/ failed and flooded the house. Bad memories. She wants a hold in the floor so less risk of failure. Although she did bring an inflatable hot tub home yesterday. Go figure....

Don't think my pond will be that big (for now) but it'll deffo have to be dug into the floor. Also being lower will improve viewing from inside the house. Just gotta wait until the floods have passed now and I can get put and get measuring!

Good tips on the netting. i'm hoping to build a natural(ish) pond so not sure how to secure a net yet, but lots of time to come up with something. Sure this project will keep me busy over summer...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version