• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Author Topic: Filter media  (Read 1197 times)

Offline MissVixen

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Filter media
« on: April 11, 2019, 08:35:23 pm »
I keep being told different opinions on when to change the filter media in my fluval U2 internal filter. Some are saying every 3-4 weeks, some are saying every 3-4 months and some are saying they're good for at least a year or more. Or do i not need to change the sponges much but change the carbon bits and/or the biomax?
12 Neon tetras, 6 Platys, 6 Guppys, 4 Corydoras, 2 Bristlenose Catfish, 20+ Cherry Shrimp

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline stuaz

• Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 98
    Re: Filter media
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 10:59:12 pm »
    You dont change the sponges unless they are literally falling apart. The carbon is not needed in an Aquarium unless your removing medication or other things like that.

Offline audigex

• Thank You
    • -Given: 11
    • -Receive: 188
    • I didn't know you spoke whale!
    « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 05:03:52 pm »
    I'd agree with Stuaz

The official line from Fluval and some shops is to replace media every x weeks/months. It's basically nonsense for most media types, and they're just trying to sell you some more media. £££

Once you actually think about what the media is for, though, it doesn't make any sense. Media exists to provide a home for your beneficial bacteria... if you remove the media, you're removing that bacteria and forcing the bacteria to start again to colonise your media. That's not a good thing, it's actively bad!

The best thing to do with a working filter is **leave it alone**.

Carbon should only be used to remove medications or chemicals, you don't need it the rest of the time. If you do use it then yes, you should remove it after a month - but you probably don't need to replace it when you remove the previous lot, until you next need to remove medication.

Sponges and normal biological/mechanical media can be left alone for years - all you need to do is give them a brief gentle swish in some tank water during a water change, to stop them clogging up with gunk.

The only part of my filter I replace regularly is the fine "polishing" floss, which falls apart and clogs faster than the other sponges, and exists purely to stop the other media clogging as fast, and even that is optional. I then occasionally add a little extra filter media to the bio media because whenever I clean it, I lose one or two pellets/balls into the bucket, so I top it up perhaps once a year

My sponges and bio media mostly came with the filter, nearly 7 years ago in the oldest case. I'm pretty sure Plankton (the mod here) has a sponge that's 15+ years old.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:12:47 am »
    My oldest sponges are nearly 21 years old, and just starting to show signs of age and being moved from filter to filter as the old filters break down. ;)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Horse Malone

• Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 6
    « Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:34:43 am »
    I think fishkeeping is just like angling...
    Most of the recommended equipment is there to catch the angler ...not the fish and is just a money making scheme.
    Changing perfectly good media and sponges is exactly the same..In fact it defeats the object of maturing a filter and cleaning it in drained tank water.
    Notice how it is the manufacturer that recommends all these replacements....I bet if the sponges and media had a guarantee on them they would never state to replace them.

Filter floss has a throw away aspect to it...but that's the only thing in my book. Even clogged sintered media may be rejuvenated if completely blocked but that is a very rare occurrence if the media is stacked in the correct order.

Just another scam IMO.

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 05:23:32 pm »
    Filter floss has a throw away aspect to it...but that's the only thing in my book.
    I agree.  *agree*

I only use external filters and there is no sign of any sponges in my filters except the pre-filter and the filter floss which is the final stage.
    I replace the filter floss during every filter maintenance but only give the pre-filter a rinse in old tank water.
    The biological media itself gets a rinse in old tank water on a rotation and the two external filters get the maintenance routine on rotation too, so there is always plenty of beneficial bacteria remaining.
    Just to play extra safe I also dose the tank with Seachem Stability or Tetra SafeStart after every filter maintenance.
    I also use Seachem Prime as my dechlorinator during water changes.

Hope it helps
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline ValG

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 10
    Filter media
    « Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:12:08 pm »
    Sorry to tag along but didn’t want to start a new conversation about a similar topic. I think my fluval u2 filter is acting up.... I’ve ordered a spare just in case as can’t hurt to have one handy! Now if swapping them round I’m guessing It’s a simple switch of media to the new filter? My sponges are now almost 4 years old haha. I swish them occasionally in tank water. I use worry if I swap them over to the new filter there’s going to be loss of bacteria in the filter itself? Such as the cages the media and sponges are kept in.... thanks in advance Val

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:40:02 pm »
    I’d just swap all the cages with the media in them from the old u2 to the new one, i think they would fit.
    You shouldnt experience too much of a spike if any. And theres always Stephen’s handy tip of adding some tetra safe start at the same time as swapping to help boost the bacteria to prevent a spike :)

Offline ValG

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 09:02:40 am »
    Awww thanks! :) The new filter looks slightly more improved? Neater finish... half tempted to just replace it anyway but don’t want to cause spikes with losing bacteria. I bet half the stuff in the filter housing itself, that I think is beneficial, is just green gunk hahaha. But you never know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline audigex

• Thank You
    • -Given: 11
    • -Receive: 188
    • I didn't know you spoke whale!
    « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:59:43 pm »
    Your bacteria colony is unlikely to be working at 100% anyway (more bacteria grows than is necessary, and then competes with each other for ammonia). This means that even if you do lose a percentage of your colony inside the filter case, it's unlikely to make a significant spike or mini cycle

Add that to the fact that the bacteria multiply quite quickly (getting the cycle started is the slow part) and it can recover quickly even if you do get a mini cycle or spike

As long as you're moving all the media over, I wouldn't worry about it too much: just keep a closer-than-usual eye on it for a couple of weeks after the move

Offline ValG

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 01:27:26 pm »
    Thanks very much for the advice :) I’m worrying over nothing I know. I dread the day I have to move house! Think that will send me into breakdown!

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 06:08:07 pm »
    Awww thanks! :) The new filter looks slightly more improved? Neater finish... half tempted to just replace it anyway but don’t want to cause spikes with losing bacteria. I bet half the stuff in the filter housing itself, that I think is beneficial, is just green gunk hahaha. But you never know!

I know what you mean i have a spare one kicking about in the cupboard. Its more rounded/neater looking.
    You can always chuck any gunk in as well :)