• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

Author Topic: Floating Plants, what have I got?, what do I want?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 29
Floating Plants, what have I got?, what do I want?
« on: April 20, 2019, 05:50:57 pm »
Hi folks,
I'm looking for the lowdown on floating plants, I currently have a small fast-growing floating plant (photos attached) I believe it was a 1-2-grow! Pot but don't know the name of it.

My second question is whats the best floating plant for a tallish rank like a Trigon? Am I right in saying Amazon Frogbit is the one with the longer stems? Tried to look up floating plant types but they all look quite similar to me.

Thanks
B

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline stuaz

• Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 98
    Re: Floating Plants, what have I got?, what do I want?
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:21:59 pm »
    That is duckweed. A prolific plant that can be hard to get rid of! I personally don't like it but its good for getting rid of nitrates (Like all floating plants really..). I doub't that it came from a tissue culture though, more likely a hitchhiker on another plant, particularly if you brought from a local fish store.

Frogbit is the one that has the longest roots (I think) and is one I like.

Along with Frogbit you could also have:

Salvinia Natans (there are different varieties of the Salvina though).
    Phyllanthus fluitans (Red Root Floater)
    Dwarf water lettuce

I am sure I have missed some, but those are a few of the more common ones.

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 08:33:14 pm »
    Yeah they duckweed if that's what it is grows rapidly, evening with removing big chunks of it every week.

Do you have a preference out of all your floating plants? The red root one sounds interesting, ideally looking for one with long roots for the honey gouramis to potter about.

Offline stuaz

• Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 98
    « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 10:44:36 pm »
    Yeah they duckweed if that's what it is grows rapidly, evening with removing big chunks of it every week.

Do you have a preference out of all your floating plants? The red root one sounds interesting, ideally looking for one with long roots for the honey gouramis to potter about.

In my smaller tanks I prefer Salvinia or Red Root. They have a smaller root structure so it gives a better scales.

In my larger tanks I like Frogbit, Gourami's will love them but all fish will as well, because it gives them a bit of security. 

I do also mix them up and do a combination just to give a different look.

With all floating plants though you just have to be careful they don't block too much light from the plants below. Because of unlimited access to CO2 in the air, they grow lots!

Duckweed pretty much grows in any conditions but with the other plants I mentioned, they don't like getting there leaves getting wet, so they prefer areas of the surface where they are less likely to get wet.

Hope that helps!

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 11:08:11 pm »
    Thank you its a big help!
    Definitely gonna get some frogbit and keep on top of the duckweed, I like it but it does get everywhere during a water change. At least can get rid of it quicker than it grows!

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 09:29:36 am »
    It took me three years to get all the duckweed out of my q-tank, which is only 18"x 10".....even when you think it's gone there's always at least one still there somewhere which spreads when you least expect it.... ;)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Rdel

• Thank You
    • -Given: 54
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 02:45:14 pm »

B-ri I'm not far from you and would take a handful of that duckweed if you have any spare?

I've had it it my tank before but the flow is just enough that it doesn't survive. I've made a circle out of air tube piping now that I'm going to try and use to make a static zone to see if I can get it growing again.
    I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. At this rate I may never die! - Calvin and Hobbes

Fluval Roma 240L with Fluval 406                    Juwel 125L with Powkoo Sponge/Fluval U4

RTBS                                                             3 Apistogramma Agassizii
    5 Angelfish                                                     4 Zebra Nerites
    2 Female Bettas (refugees from another tank)
    6 Albino (Bronze) Corys
    5 Peppered Corys
    2 Bristlenose Plecos +1 Juvenile
    11 Cardinal Tetras
    2 Bolivian Rams
    2 Zebra Nerites
    1 Military Helmet Snail
    1 Large White Nerite Snail
    4 Cherry Shrimp
    4 Fan Shrimp

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 06:42:21 pm »
    Where are you Rdel?
    I'll have a rake about see what I got left I did go gung-ho ripping it out to make room for my Amazon frogbit, as Plankton says though it's tough to get rid of so it should still b in there.
    Welcome to a bunch of either plant though thumbsup3

Offline Rdel

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:22:18 pm »
    Where are you Rdel?
    I'll have a rake about see what I got left I did go gung-ho ripping it out to make room for my Amazon frogbit, as Plankton says though it's tough to get rid of so it should still b in there.
    Welcome to a bunch of either plant though thumbsup3

Nice one. Really want the floating plants to work for my apisto tank but I've killed off a fair few now. Think I've set up the perfect solution now.....maybe...

I'm in Airdrie but I'm always in your neck of the woods visiting Fins Aquatics in Holytown (who've got some L183 White Beam in just now) and The Fin Room in Motherwell (who've just up'd their tanks and is looking great).

I'm about to chop down a wee plant of my own just now that your welcome too if you fancy?

How can I find you on messenger? If you're on the fin room facebook or auction page you might be able to search for me under, Rob Smith.
    I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. At this rate I may never die! - Calvin and Hobbes

Fluval Roma 240L with Fluval 406                    Juwel 125L with Powkoo Sponge/Fluval U4

RTBS                                                             3 Apistogramma Agassizii
    6 Albino (Bronze) Corys
    5 Peppered Corys
    11 Cardinal Tetras
    2 Bolivian Rams
    2 Zebra Nerites
    1 Military Helmet Snail
    4 Cherry Shrimp
    4 Fan Shrimp

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 12:24:28 am »
    By the look of it it's just frogbit I have left Rob, from what I can. See of it anyway, there may be duckweed lingering in there somewhere though. What plant have you chopped down?
    I think we have met before by the way did you rehome Cardinals from me? roflmao

Offline Rdel

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 10:41:26 am »
    ha small world mate, it didn't click at all.

Dunno the name of the plant but I've sent you a message on messenger.

6 Albino (Bronze) Corys
    5 Peppered Corys
    11 Cardinal Tetras
    2 Bolivian Rams
    2 Zebra Nerites
    1 Military Helmet Snail
    4 Cherry Shrimp
    4 Fan Shrimp

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 05:23:56 pm »
    found that my surface movement wasn't allowing my frogbit to settle and take hold. Found a good workaround by letting my other plants overgrow to the surface and now it's settling in amongst the growth.

anybody ever used valisneria? Was considering getting some

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 03:59:54 pm »
    Anybody ever had any experience with guppy grass?