• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52

Author Topic: Set up advice for Cupid Cichlids.  (Read 2309 times)

Offline stechappo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
Set up advice for Cupid Cichlids.
« on: June 30, 2019, 12:14:48 pm »
So this is my first time keeping Cupid Cichlids and I'm looking for advice on the setup,  I started out with 2 Cupids who got along great very active and moved around the tank a lot they where in with 10 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, 6 Noen Tetras a BN Plec and 3 Cory's.  Picked up another 3 Cupids from same shop and now all 5 just tend to either hide out or bicker, no damage being done but generally all look a bit stressed.  So what I would like is some advice on the layout for my tank, should I remove the rockwork and lesson down the territories they have or add more and space it out a bit better to give more defined areas for each fish, any suggestions most welcome.  Below is a picture of the setup just after I changed the substrate( much clearer now :) ).

Cheers
327LTR South American(ish)  APS1000EF External Filter, APS250ltr internal with just Bio media Filter.
3 Albino Corydoras
15 Neon Tetras
2 Apistogramma Cacatuoides Orange 1 male 1 female

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    Re: Set up advice for Cupid Cichlids.
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 11:30:24 pm »
    Cupid cichlids are beautiful fish (I have 7).
    5 is probably maximum in your 4 foot tank but they do require defined territory especially if they pair up (2 foot per pair).
    I would add some large bogwood pieces to create defined territories.
    Male Cupids may squabble, this is usually by chasing or even by locking jaws to determine dominance.

Cupid cichlids generally like the tank water temperature slightly warmer (24-27C), the temperature will be fine for the dwarf neon rainbows and albino cory but a little too warm for neon tetra and the BN plec (prefer something like 22/23C), something like 24/24.5C would be a good compromise.

I feed mine either Vitalis Central/South American Cichlid Pellets (S 1.5mm) or Hikari Cichlid Gold Sinking mini pellets (3.0mm-3.4mm) and occasionally some live/frozen foods such as bloodworm.
    They feed off the sand substrate so the food needs to sink.

Corydoras need to be in a group so I would add another 2 or 3 albino cory.

Hope it helps
    All the best
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline stechappo

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 02:08:20 pm »
    Cheers Stephen, looking at the facial marking I think that I have 5 males as all have lines on the cheeks none with spots, trying at the moment to move on the Rainbowfish and Neons as well as the BN Plec, just bought a large piece of Bogwood which I'm currently soaking, may put in sooner as I don't mind the tannin stained look.  Tried doing a small rearrangement which worked for around an hour :), as you say they are beauties it's mainly just a bit of chasing if one comes near to another's spot in the tank no lip locking as of yet.  Tank temp is set at 25Deg and my water is classed as Mod Soft.  Got a friend who could take 1 or 2 off me if you think that would be of benefit to the group. 
    327LTR South American(ish)  APS1000EF External Filter, APS250ltr internal with just Bio media Filter.
    3 Albino Corydoras
    15 Neon Tetras

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 03:40:07 pm »
    It is not easy to sex Cupid cichlids until they mature so it's unlikely (but not impossible) that all yours are male.
    I have observed jaw locking in my tank but there's plenty of room for all 7, I may even add another 2 at a later date.

I have my tank set at 24.5-25.0C, the thermometer says it's just under 25C but I do not have any Neon tetra or BN plec that prefer slightly cooler water which is why I suggested 24.0-24.5C would be a good compromise.

I think 5 cupids is probably maximum in your tank, no need to re-home any as long as there are places to hide.
    Your large bogwood piece will help, I would place it slightly off centre as this will be more aesthetically pleasing.

All the best
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline stechappo

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 07:16:28 pm »
    Just a little update, done a rescape, added a big piece of bogwood, Cupids seem lot less stressed and starting to show colours, think I have a least one female as cheek marking have come out bit more and 1 has more dots the just a line.
    3 Albino Corydoras
    15 Neon Tetras

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 02:35:31 pm »
    The bogwood looks a nice piece.  thumbsup2 You even have room for another one or two pieces.
    When the plants get more established it will give more places for fish to hide and make them feel more secure.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline stechappo

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 10:39:41 pm »
    The bogwood looks a nice piece.  thumbsup2 You even have room for another one or two pieces.
    When the plants get more established it will give more places for fish to hide and make them feel more secure.

Cheers Stephen, picking up a few extra pieces of wood tomorrow hopefully, just been looking at your tank thread, wonderful setup you have there.
    3 Albino Corydoras
    15 Neon Tetras

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 12:10:25 am »

Cheers Stephen, picking up a few extra pieces of wood tomorrow hopefully, just been looking at your tank thread, wonderful setup you have there.
    Thank you.  *grin*
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline stechappo

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 04:04:18 pm »
    Picked up a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides orange yesterday morning from Aqualife Leyland, and just now have found the have spawned in a small crevice, female is guarding the area while the male is keeping the 5 Cupids at the other end of the tank :O .  Cupids aren't that bothered about him that much just acting more subdominant to him and doing what they are told staying away.
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:15:45 pm by stechappo »
    3 Albino Corydoras
    15 Neon Tetras

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 04:32:04 pm »
    Exciting times  *grin*
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline stechappo

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 08:31:27 pm »
    Well just got my camera torch to look at the eggs and they are all white, so guessing the male could be either infertile or just didn't fertilise them, but at least they tried, not bad though for first attempt.
    3 Albino Corydoras
    15 Neon Tetras

Offline stechappo

• Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 10:40:36 am »
    Little update, the Apisto eggs have disappeared, the female was still looking after them last night fanning them and keeping everything away, now she is exploring the tank with the male, decided to give my Cupids to a friend who has a 7ft tank as they where starting to get stressed because of the male Apisto's constant chasing of them, and have spent the last few days out of sight only appearing at feeding time, he is also taking my bristlenose plec as he may have been the one to eat the eggs.  Going to make the tank as best as possible for the Apistos to breed in, got a very large piece of bogwood in soak and some mopani wood too, but will put in as I don't mind the tannin stained look as more natural in my opinion.  Picking up a few more Cories from Leyland Aquatics this weekend and may get some tetras to fill the void as I don't want a drop of in beneficial bacteria due to less waste/food for them.
    3 Albino Corydoras
    15 Neon Tetras

Offline stechappo

• Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 05:57:31 pm »
    Well the Apistos did manage to breed successfully, they must have hatched and she moved them into the flowerpot as my son found the female guarding her fry today.

There is around 20 of the fry at the moment, mothers doing her job of defence quite well.
    3 Albino Corydoras
    15 Neon Tetras

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 06:44:34 pm »
    The apistos didn't hang around. Well done,
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline stechappo

• Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 07:27:37 pm »
    They certainly didn't Stephen, when I bought them they looked a good pair pushing all the others away from there little patch in the display tank, probably ready to go as they where, guess they liked my setup :) .
    3 Albino Corydoras
    15 Neon Tetras