• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Author Topic: Hair Algae in my new Set Up!  (Read 985 times)

Offline Bazzer501

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Hair Algae in my new Set Up!
« on: July 10, 2019, 02:41:41 pm »
Hi all,
I wonder if someone could give me some advice as I'm somewhat bemused.
On 8th June I set up my Aqua One 300 litre + sump as a new tropical tank in which I want to successfully grow plants.
Apart from rock work I bought everything required from Aquarium Gardens, that being Tropica Plant Substrate covered with Samoan Sand. The rest of the set up is inert quartz rock work and bogwood, again from AQ.
All of my plants came from AQ as well and I have followed their guidelines of a 50% water change twice a week, I'm using 75% RO & 25 % treated Tap water. Daily dosing with with TNC Liquid Carbon at 7 ml a day for 350 litres and TNC Complete Plant Food 5 ml per 50 litres weekly.
My lighting is a Maxspect Razor 160 and again following AQ suggestions I have this set at 50% max output with the lights on for only 6 hours a day for at least the first month.
In the sump I have a 200 micron filter sock on the return pipe with the water then flowing through a medium and a fine sponge before flowing through the Siporax type biological filter media (I have enough in there for 500+ litres!). The water returns to the aquarium via a programmable pump set at 1,500 litres/hour. There is also a 20 Watt D&D UV plumbed in this section of the sump. I have 300 watt titanium heater and an separate Elitech thermostat set at 25C  and in the aquarium I have a 500 litre/hour power head.
I am aware that CO2 can be lost via turbulent water so I have tried to make the water flow as smooth as possible. I have even put covers on the sump to enclose this.
Despite all this about a week ago I noticed the first strands of hair algae appearing on the rocks/bogwood and plants some I have been able to siphon out and some I've cleaned off by removing some bogwood but some is fixed in place but it seems to be getting worse.
Stock wise there as 12 Cardinals, 6 Corys, 5 Harlequin's 6 Rosy Tetras and 6 Otocinclus. I feed a varied mix of flake, mico granuals, tablets and frozen food. I feed twice a day and always underfeed.

I would welcome any advice on this. I am pretty gutted that this has happened given I've tried to do everything by the book.
Regards, Barry

Aqua One 300 litre with Sump!

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Ric

• Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 9
    Re: Hair Algae in my new Set Up!
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 01:52:15 pm »
    When I first started out I was told hair algae is a sign of too much light and was advised to reduce the time I have the lights on. This worked for me. My tanks have always been low tech, so I don't want to interfere with any advice you have been given from your aquatic shop.

I remembered, back in the days of the PFK forum, that there was a ''guide to common algae'' which summarised that each type of algae thrives in ertain conditions. I could not find the PFK article but found this guide: 

https://smartaquariumguide.com/algae/

Hope it helps.