• Total Topics: 70244
  • Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 45
Total: 46

Author Topic: Cleaning tank: Power cut whilst on holiday- all fish dead....  (Read 747 times)

Offline Mefster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
About 3 years ago, after some excellent advice from this forum, we set up our first aquarium: a 180 litre tank stocked with 20 Lake Malawi Cichlids. It has been going really well, despite losing a few fish in the past years, with some breeding we still had over 30 fish, some quite large.

Sadly, we got back from a week’s holiday today to find a fuse had tripped, stopping the filter and resulting in a tank of dead fish, starting to decompose. We’re obviously gutted.  I’ve had the unpleasant task of draining the tank and removing the remains of the fish.

I’ve refilled the tank and I’m running the filter to clean the water.  We are keen to replace the fish.  I spend some time cycling the tank before adding fish the first time around.  I don’t want to over clean the tank and remove to useful bacteria, but also don’t want to cause problems with any new fish by not preparing the tank correctly after the dead fish.

Any advice? I was planning on another couple of water changes and filter clean before testing the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels...

Should I be doing anything different?

Thanks

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    Re: Cleaning tank: Power cut whilst on holiday- all fish dead....
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 09:07:07 am »
    So sorry for your losses, you must be devastated.  :(

I would only give the filter media a gentle clean so not to lose too much beneficial bacteria.
    I would also get a bottle of either Tetra Safestart or Seachem Stability to replenish any lost beneficial bacteria and dose according to the instructions.
    I would dose either of the above 24 hours after your last water change as the declorinator will have evaporated and therefore not effect the bacteria-in-a-bottle.

I would also double-check the water hardness and temperature before adding fish.

Good luck.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 09:54:10 am »
    Sorry for your losses, that’s rough :(
     *agree* with Stephen on the way forward, but monitor the levels closely in case you get any spikes

Offline Tank2

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 06:39:55 pm »
    I had a similar experience a few years ago and it was very sad so commiserations.

I now have a little test kit that allows me to test a number of water quality parameters.  Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, pH etc. and I find it a great way of monitoring the water quality and spotting problems early.  I test every 4-6 weeks.