• Total Topics: 70266
  • Online Today: 57
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

Author Topic: Hair algae in planted aquarium and brown plants  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Edbergius

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
Hair algae in planted aquarium and brown plants
« on: August 26, 2019, 05:33:14 pm »
I started my 350L Juwel Rio again a few months ago after shutting in down for redecorating. The tank appears to have cycled properly but I am struggling with algae and getting the plants to flourish. I'm spending about 4 hours a week removing it, only for it to come back within a couple of days. Some of the plants have brown, withered leaves although they don't seem to be dying. They don't seem to be growing well considering the CO2 injection.

I have four LED Juwel lights (I had four T5 before), CO2 injection and the Juwel Bioflow 6.0 that came with the tank. I have had the lights on about 7 hours per day, and CO2 set half an hour before lights come on and half hour before lights go off. Air pump is run for 6 hours overnight.

I use the CO2 to reduce the pH of the water as the tap water is naturally 8.4. Using the CO2 brings this down to 7.6.

I currently dose 7ml TBC Complete every day.

Water tests indicate nitrite and ammonia are both zero, and nitrate is about 30 - 40. Tap water is about 40 for nitrate.

I currently have a low stock of fish. 1 red tailed shark, 3 bronze corys, 4 black ruby barbs and 2 x-ray tetra.

I currently do 15% water change every week, as the tank is large and has a low number of fish.

I'm not sure what the next step to try would be. I don't think it's the lighting being on too long, and I'd like to avoid reducing the CO2 as it will increase the pH.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Paul3771

• Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 0
    Re: Hair algae in planted aquarium and brown plants
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:50:28 pm »
    I'm certainly no expert but have done lots of research. How heavily planted is the tank as its a big size? Basically the more plants the better in fighting algae, so i would make sure its planted as much as possible. Secondly, i would say a 15% water change is not enough i would be doing at least a 50% change weekly and while you have algae issues perhaps twice a week or even 3.
    When i first set my tank up i was doing a 50% change every other day for 3 weeks while the plants were getting established. Also with the co2, I would be having it come on a couple of hours before the lights do and an hour before they go off.
    As with most things prevention is key so personly i would be focusing on removing the bits of algae i could by hand and doing lots of water changes and if the plants are in a good soil substrate perhaps lowering the ferts dose a little bit as if the plants are not using it all then your just helping the algae grow.
    I don't know if you already do but youtube George farmer he has loads of good advice on his videos and even done videos on how he's dealt with his own algae issues.  Lastly, as i said i'm no expert but i think possibly hair algae is caused by to much light.
    Good luck

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    Re: Hair algae in planted aquarium and brown plants
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 08:13:21 am »
    I started my 350L Juwel Rio again a few months ago after shutting in down for redecorating. The tank appears to have cycled properly but I am struggling with algae and getting the plants to flourish. I'm I use the CO2 to reduce the pH of the water as the tap water is naturally 8.4. Using the CO2 brings this down to 7.6.

I currently dose 7ml TBC Complete every day.

Water tests indicate nitrite and ammonia are both zero, and nitrate is about 30 - 40. Tap water is about 40 for nitrate.
    The water in Gravesend is hard and as you point out and comes with a high level of nitrate from the tap.

I would change to a fertiliser that is nitrate & phosphate free as the plants can then use up the nitrogen (nitrate) that comes from the tap.

If the tank is very well planted then the TNC fertiliser dosage is 1ml per 10L of water per week.
    In a 350L tank that equates to 35ml per week or 5 ml per day and not 7ml as you are currently dosing.
    If the tank is only say half planted then reduce the dosage further to say 3ml per day.

You also say that your pH is naturally pH8.1 have you tested the pH from the tap after leaving a sample stand for 24 hours?
    According to Southern Water your pH should be closer to pH7.2.
    How are you testing the pH, ammonia & nitrite? Is it a liquid test kit or test strips?
    Is there something that is pushing the pH up in the tank such as a gravel which is leaching something in to the water?

In conclusion I would change the fertiliser to a nitrate & phosphate free fertiliser such as TNC Lite.
    Reduce the dosage to maybe 3ml per day. Your water is very hard therefore naturally has lots of minerals.
    Test the pH of the tap water.

I would also do a large water change to reduce the minerals already in the water before starting the reduced dosage.

I have also sent a personal message (PM).

All the best
    Stephen
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen