• Total Topics: 70243
  • Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Author Topic: Tail ripped off  (Read 933 times)

Offline F1Laura

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
Tail ripped off
« on: December 03, 2019, 09:28:18 am »
I came home a few days ago to find one of my X-ray Tetra's tail was completely ripped off. :(

My filter had stopped working the day before, and I had put a small temporary one in, so I wonder if somehow he got stuck behind it and that caused the injury. I don't believe the other fish had anything to do with it as they're not aggressive and none of them have had any injuries before this.

He was having to make a lot of effort to swim but was otherwise ok for the first couple of days, but now he has become very tired and can only swim upside down. I have had to remove him from the main tank as the shrimp would have eaten him alive in this state and i'm concerned he has an infection from the wound that could affect the other fish. I have given him salt baths for the last 2 days which perk him up briefly but then he goes back to being upside down again.

Anyone have any advice? I think this may be the end of him but I would like to at least try to help him, and also to make sure the other fish won't catch anything. I have shrimp in my tank so I don't want to use any preventative medicines on my healthy fish that could hurt the shrimp.

Thanks.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    • -Given: 22
    • -Receive: 74
    Re: Tail ripped off
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 06:21:50 pm »
    Why not get a birthing box?? Means the shrimp can't get him and he gets more peace and quiet. Eesha 2000 is great for external stuff and fin issues.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk