• Total Topics: 70243
  • Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28

Author Topic: Airstone with Tana sand?  (Read 457 times)

Offline mattindevon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
Airstone with Tana sand?
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:07:49 pm »
Last year I switched to a Unipac Tana sand substrate for my 60l tank. All is well except that I would like more surface disturbance for oxygenation as the filter tends to lose a bit of oomph about a week after cleaning.

Today I purchased a Marina starter set with all the components to provide a round or long airstone. So far it is still unopened. It dawned on me that the equipment itself might be impractical with sand, ie the stone might not stay in the sand. The sand itself is coarse enough that I don't think there will be a problem with clouding.

Does anyone have any advice? All the online discussion I can find says sand without specifying the type in most cases. I know that Tana behaves differently to standard, fine aquarium sand.
Aquael 60l   60x30cm   Aquael filter
Current fauna stock: 3 x Rosy Tetra, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 2 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid, 1 x Siamese Algae Eater
Current flora stock: a few live plants, none of whose names I know

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 358
    Re: Airstone with Tana sand?
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 10:58:02 am »
    Why do you need the airstone to be “in the sand”? Could you not have it hanging in the corner above the sand?
    Anyway, sounds like your filter is too small. Either that or it’s too crammed with media? It shouldn’t be slowing down after a week...

Offline mattindevon

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 10:10:32 am »
    Will set it up and get some stones to weigh the airstones down. It wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing to me to have them hanging around. Let's see how it goes.
    Current fauna stock: 3 x Rosy Tetra, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 2 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid, 1 x Siamese Algae Eater

Offline mattindevon

• Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 02:29:05 pm »
    Right, here's what I learned. Check the instructions for your filter to make sure you're using it properly! I had never previously realised that certain interior parts could be removed and when I did so there seemed to be an audible release of air. Put it back together along with an air flow adapter that I had for it and hey presto, a high flow and plenty of bubbles. I hadn't been using the air flow adapter properly either and now know how to cut it off to eliminate bubbles and sound during the night (tank's in the bedroom). However, the filter has been slowing down more than ever so I might swap it out for the old one (keeping the current sponge of course).

What I also learned is that air pumps are noisy. The Range sell APS air pumps so I ended up trying that. It claims to be quiet but to my mind made a lot of noise, regardless of where I put it. Maybe it compares well to other pumps but I don't see how it can be advertised as quiet. I didn't have the materials to hand nor the space for a sound-proofing container so took it back to the shop. Also took the Marina set back to the shop as that would have been louder if anything.