• Total Topics: 70243
  • Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42

Author Topic: Water change - fish gasping - cloudy water - panic !  (Read 591 times)

Offline Barbarosa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Water change - fish gasping - cloudy water - panic !
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:04:34 am »
Hi folks,

Yesterday I carried out a 50% water change with dechlorinated water and took out a number of my fish as my pair of Rams had shown signs of breeding so wanted to provide them with a quiet tank to go about their business  :458:

Everything was fine for about an hour or so when the water gradually went a little milky and the other fish (Neon Tetras, Corys) started to hang at the surface gasping. In a panic I carried out another water change (around 40%) but the same thing happened. As it was late last night by the time I finished I had no choice but to add another powerhead pointing at the water surface and head to bed.

I woke up this morning to a number of dead Neons and a dead pair of Rams  *bye3*

Was this an Ammonia crash ? I've never experienced this before with a mature external filter and treated tapwater  :(

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Pleco Fan

• Thank You
    • -Given: 51
    • -Receive: 21
    • John
    Re: Water change - fish gasping - cloudy water - panic !
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 10:31:04 am »
    What are you using to  dechlorinate your water? Have you tested your tank water for Ammonia?
    The two main things that cause ammonia are overfeeding and poor tank maintenance but I'm guessing you already know that.
    When I am doing water changes I use Seachem Prime which a lot of people recommend.
    If fish are gasping at the top it is a clear indication of not enough oxygen in your water, air pump and air stone should do the job.
    Fluval 240

Offline Barbarosa

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 11:34:19 am »
    I'm using JBL Biotopol and have used it consistently with my water changes for at least 12 months with no problems, that's what's got me flummoxed  *blink*

Typically my Ammonia test kit ran out last week and I've had no time to replace it, but having not experienced this issue before I didn't think too much about it if I'm being honest.

Apart from the dead bodies this morning the remaining fish are no longer gasping so IF it was ammonia could it have dispersed ?

Offline Pleco Fan

• Thank You
    • -Given: 51
    • -Receive: 21
    • John
    « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 02:15:17 pm »
    Ammonia is broken down by other bacteria, if you don't overfeed and do regular water changes things should be ok, go out and buy a decent test kit which also should inc Nitrite and Nitrate and also ph tests.
    Fluval 240

Offline Baggins67

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 09:01:11 am »
    Just another thought, this once happened to me after a water change many many years ago :-(. I later that day found they were doing water work repairs on my road and had flushed the pipes :-(. Keep an eye out for water pipe repairs near your house and avoid water changes until finished and a few days have passed by. I ran the water company who state the water has to be fit and safe for human consumption only... Just a thought