• Total Topics: 70244
  • Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 57
Total: 58

Author Topic: Possible fin rot on pleco?  (Read 632 times)

Offline Jonnyburns86

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Possible fin rot on pleco?
« on: February 13, 2020, 06:34:01 pm »
Hi all, I am looking for a bit of advice, my pleco looks like he may have finrot, I check on them regularly and have only just noticed this, please forgive the picture quality, it's difficult to get good ones of him 😂

Some background which may have contributed, I moved home at the end of November, all of the fish survived, which was surprising considering they were in bags for nearly 12 hours, then they were moved from the livingroom to the kitchen where they stayed for around a month whilst I decorated, I recently moved them back into the livingroom which was when I noticed his fins looking a bit scraggly. A few days ago I lost a tiger barb, who got scraggy fins, I think from nipping after about 2 weeks, he lived for another year after that, that's why I don't think it was fin rot he had. The pleco is the biggest fish in the tank and can definitely stand up for himself, only fighting with my blood parrot every now and again, the pleco is always victorious. So I would be surprised if this was a result of nipping.

Sorry for the extremely long post, I just wanted to be thorough 😂.

I have tested the water today and results are as follows, pH 7.6, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 40ppm. PH seems a bit high to me so I have done a water change since testing.

Tank is a 240l containing 1 pleco, 1 blood parrot, 1 angel, 2 tiger barbs, 1 clown loach, 2 harlequins, 4 firemouths, 2 kuhli loaches (I assume there are still 2, I very rarely see them)
I know the plec and clown loach will eventually get too big for this tank, but at the moment everybody is pretty small and young, the plec and Angel are the oldest at 2 and a half years.

If you have read this far thank you 😂

Something else that may help to know, the blood parrot is currently laying eggs and is getting very territorial, as he usually does when he lays them, but only when anybody gets very close to him.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Jonnyburns86

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    Re: Possible fin rot on pleco?
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 06:37:23 pm »
    Pictures

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Pleco Fan

• Thank You
    • -Given: 51
    • -Receive: 21
    • John
    Re: Possible fin rot on pleco?
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 10:36:03 pm »
    I can't help thinking it looks like nipped fins to me, go to your lfs and buy some fin rot medicine and dose your tank, it can't do any harm, the blood parrot has to be the main culprit especially since it is going to be over protective in your community tank.
    Fluval 240