• Total Topics: 70215
  • Online Today: 59
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Author Topic: Nitrate spike  (Read 391 times)

Offline Betta keeper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Nitrate spike
« on: May 27, 2020, 06:01:40 pm »
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with Nitrate levels in my 15 gallon planted Betta tank. The pH levels are also higher than I'd like them to be at 7.5 (want them to be 6.5 - 7). Gh is reading high as expected. So is the pH causing the nitrate spike (40ppm) or is it the other way round? All other levels are normal.

I can't see any rotting plant matter all plants are healthy and green. I do weekly water changes and the tank is very under stocked. I feed tetra pro wafers (only a couple) most days morning a night with a gap day in the week. Also occasionally feed daphnia so I'm not over feeding either.

I've added some Guava leaves in an attempt to bring the pH levels down naturally but could the leaf litter raise the nitrates as they decompose?

All advise welcome! Tanks a fluval flex 59l

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 358
    Re: Nitrate spike
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 10:17:44 am »
    The easiest way to reduce nitrates is a water change. What’s the nitrate level in your tap water?

Offline Betta keeper

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    Re: Nitrate spike
    « Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 05:19:09 pm »
    Well that's what confused me as I did weekly changes of 25% and so was surprised to see the high levels. However I've since tested my tap water and yeah you're right it's super high in nitrates 80ppm! And actually the tank reading is now at 40ppm so the plants and the nitrate removal sponges are doing their work but of course I need it to be below 20ppm really. Any tips for an alternative water source or nitrate management in tap water? Considered using rain water but that's not all that reliable! Thanks for you advice so far.