• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 57
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

Author Topic: Basic betta care  (Read 10092 times)

Offline scoobiemandan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 186
  • -Receive: 307
Re: Basic betta care
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 07:25:47 pm »
Perhaps but can we really exactly replicate a wild Betta's diet!?  I suspect Betta in the wild don't suffer from the same issues that our aquarium companions do and that's most likely down to feeding and environment.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"

350l - 4 Black Neon Tetra, 1 Guppy, 3 Albino Cory, 4 Glass Catfish, 5 SAE, Spock the BN Plec

240l - Lucky and Friend the Goldfish

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline tankvirgin

• Thank You
    • -Given: 38
    • -Receive: 9
    • Newbie to the world of fishkeeping
    « Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 10:20:30 pm »
    If you feel as if your filter is running too fast even on its lowest then you can do what I did and make a buffer to lessen the flow from your spray bar.

Take one plastic bottle - I used a 500ml one, peel the label off and just below where the glue is make a mark to cut. Measure that up against the spray bar to see how it fits and then cut the bottom off. Once you've got a nice round tube with no ends cut it vertically down the middle but don't split it into two and then making sure there are no sharp edges that can catch and tear fins. Lift up your hood and place one end over the top of the tank under the hood and the other around the spray bar. It will catch the water coming out and slow it up just so there is enough agitation on the water which will leave your little betta able to freely move about with no issues. It's a cheap and easy method without having to go out and buy a different smaller filter.
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:22:37 pm by tankvirgin »

eyeshalfclosed

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 12:38:49 pm »
    Betta fish breath from the surface  so good surface space is needed. Bowl type tanks like Bio orbs and the solid top Fluval Edge have very limited surface space which can cause issues.

The fluval Edge in particular has been known to drown Betta fish as the breathing hole is also the filter output which Bettas tend to avoid or struggle to swim in.

Female Bettas set up territories. The dominant female is most likely to claim the best feeding area and will prevent other Bettas entering this area. In the case of the Fluval Edge this is again the breathing hole so the females can be forced into choice of fight or drown.

I have my Betta in a Fluval Edge tank and hes doing just fine all you have to do is not fill the tank all the way to the top leave space for him to breath, he is also in a tank with neons and glowlight and they seem to be getting on fine :)

Offline scoobiemandan

• Thank You
    • -Given: 186
    • -Receive: 307
    « Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 08:35:27 am »
    Yup, that's something we all advise on here regarding the Fluval Edge tanks!  I got sick of mine when I had it, pain in the arse to clean properly!
    "I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"

350l - 4 Black Neon Tetra, 1 Guppy, 3 Albino Cory, 4 Glass Catfish, 5 SAE, Spock the BN Plec

240l - Lucky and Friend the Goldfish