• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Author Topic: I'm back... maybe!  (Read 1685 times)

Offline paulypaul182

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
I'm back... maybe!
« on: August 30, 2021, 08:40:27 pm »
Hi all. I used to keep tropical back until 2011 and used to use this forum exclusively. I ended up swapping my last aquarium out for vivariums and ended up keeping a host of reptiles and amphibs.

So I'm looking to get back into the hobby now. My old aquarium was 240 litres but I'm not sure whether I'll go as big this time. The space I currently have is about 135cm so it looks like it may be a 145 litre will be my starting point although I just know I'll end up back in the 250l range 😂

So in the 10 years out of the hobby, what has changed? Are the filters any better? I used to use in tank filters rather than a sump. How about the ammonia cycle? Has the method of breaking a filter in changed? I used to use household ammonia, dosing the tank daily and testing until I had 0,0,40. How about stock? Has the calculation for how to stock an aquarium changed?

Also, can anyone recommend a good aquarium please? I want everything brand new.

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone. I'm thinking that a serious planted up aquarium with rocks etc in it (you know I'm going to end up over 250 litres 😂)

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement