• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

Author Topic: Fancy Goldfish Pineconing - Dropsy or Eggbound?  (Read 748 times)

Offline JMcQueen

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Fancy Goldfish Pineconing - Dropsy or Eggbound?
« on: December 12, 2021, 02:39:35 pm »
So a couple of weeks ago one of my fish started experiencing buoyancy issues and found it floating inverted at the top of the tank. My first thought was to try and treat for constipation and after having not feed the fish for a couple of days and then pees, it regained its buoyancy and I put it back in the tank. Then, a few days later, it happened again. I did the same thing and again, it regained management over its buoyancy.

However, I've noticed that the fish is showing pineconing from above. So at that point I'm thinking swim bladder issue but there doesnt seem to be any noticeable swelling to one side or the other, the fish is female so has always had a much wider rear width. So now I'm thinking its slow onset dropsy or its become egg bound.

664366-0
664370-1

The fish is still eating fine, sits with dorsal firmly raised and shows no other outward signs of being unwell. As a precaution I'm keeping it in a 10L plastic container as it means I can control medicinal dosing (started with melafix and on day 2) and give 100% clean water daily.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 86
    • -Receive: 363
    Re: Fancy Goldfish Pineconing - Dropsy or Eggbound?
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 02:09:13 pm »
    Pineconing always means dropsy. Fluid build up in the body cavity. Not much you can do. They’re sometimes saved but it’s very rare.