• Total Topics: 70258
  • Online Today: 87
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 61
Total: 62

Author Topic: complete noob...............  (Read 906 times)

zoeb2912

complete noob...............
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:30 pm »
Hi all

I am completely new to aquascaping.

i am going to focus on my main tank for now which is 90x30x30.

i would like to aquascape whilst trying to be biotope correct.

for my final stock i would like pearl gourami, harlequin rasbora and kuhli loaches.

i have sand substrate and bogwood to start with and have ordered some java fern and vallis. i have used slate pieces to prop the wood where i want it.

im not using co2 or any high tech as im tying to get to grips with the layout first.

i have attached some pics of my hardscape and would like yr thoughts on it please.

really would like a WOW tank.

thanks xx

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline stonec0ld

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 20
    Re: complete noob...............
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:25:15 pm »
    Take a look at this

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_aquascaping.php

So you're looking at a south east Asian biotope, I did one similar

https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=24297.0

zoeb2912

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:14:00 pm »
    thanks for the links.

i have read alot about aquascaping general rules.

id like some critigue on my current hardscape please.

also, for the stocking now iv seen yrs could tiger barbs go with gourami and rasboras? and also how many would you suggest for my tank size?

throughout my 3 tanks at home i have got
    2 pearl gourami
    2 opaline gourami
    2 gold var gourami
    3 honey gourami
    10 harle rasbora
    6 black skirt tetra
    6 kuhli loaches
    2 blue rams
    3 male endlers
    1 male guppy
    6 bronze corys
    and loads of cherry shrimp.

how would you group them for best affect?

thanks x

zoeb2912

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:36:30 am »
    anyone?............... x

Offline Louby73

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:13:29 am »
    tiger barbs are fin nippers, best kept away from anything which has long fins like a gourami in my opinion.  as for  rasboras it would depend on the variety as there are lots to choose from but as long as the tiger barbs are kept in a shoal they should be more concerned with the hierarchy in their own group and leave other fish alone.

I personally am consider Black Ruby Barbs to put in my tank eventually when some of the platy I have are gone and I have Narrow Wedge Harlequin otherwise known as  Lambchop Rasbora.  I think they should be ok as these Harlequin shoal nice and move fast and there are alot of cover and hiding places in my tank.

regarding numbers for your tank it would depend on what else you have and not sure on the size of your tank.  I know mine looks quite full right now with the number I have and I know I could probably get a few Corydoras in there to mix up the sand and that will be my limit until I need to replace any.
    Current Fish swimming happily in the Juwel Rio 240
    2 Orange Sunset Platy
    12 blue varigated Platy
    5 Narrow Wedge Harlequin (Trigonostigma espei)
    6 Siamese Flying Fox (Crossocheilus siamensis)
    3 black band catfish (Corydoras zygatus)

zoeb2912

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:34:04 am »
    tiger barbs are fin nippers, best kept away from anything which has long fins like a gourami in my opinion.  as for  rasboras it would depend on the variety as there are lots to choose from but as long as the tiger barbs are kept in a shoal they should be more concerned with the hierarchy in their own group and leave other fish alone.

I personally am consider Black Ruby Barbs to put in my tank eventually when some of the platy I have are gone and I have Narrow Wedge Harlequin otherwise known as  Lambchop Rasbora.  I think they should be ok as these Harlequin shoal nice and move fast and there are alot of cover and hiding places in my tank.

regarding numbers for your tank it would depend on what else you have and not sure on the size of your tank.  I know mine looks quite full right now with the number I have and I know I could probably get a few Corydoras in there to mix up the sand and that will be my limit until I need to replace any.

hi thanks for that.

i ended up going to lfs last night and got 10 rummy nose tetra, not biotope correct but they shoal tightly and their colours go nicely with my pearl gourami.

im going to plant my plants today at some point and will post some pics after. i have vallis, java fern and dwarf lettuce for floating.

does anyone know if tannins can stain the fish aswell as the water? thanks xx