• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56

Author Topic: Green Phantom  (Read 786 times)

Offline Ahmotorsport

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Green Phantom
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:16:02 pm »
They had two in my LFS the other day, i sat and watched them for ages, they were absolutely stunning.

For a giggle i put it into Aqadvisor alone in my three foot and no problems came up, i thought it was going to tell me how it would out grow it etc, so i then put the rest of my stocking in for it to tell me it's 105% stocked.

Now, surely, a Green Phantom is too big for my tank? But upon thinking about it, an 8" Plecy would have a tank four times the length of it, is or isn't that enough?

I'm just dying to have one xD
28L - Male Siamese Fighting Betta (Thor).

100L - Bristlenose (Maverick) L002 Tiger Plec (Loki) 2x Orange Venezuelan Cory, 8x Neon Tetra, 5x Black Neon Tetra, 2x M Guppy, 1x M Bolivian Ram (Aragorn)

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline scatz

• Pleco Nutter
    • TFF Staff Retired
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 6
    Re: Green Phantom
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:33:13 pm »
    3 foot would be the absolute minimum for one when fully grown, bigger would obviously be better, but with good filtration, good clean water, plenty of hiding spots and a good varied diet, it should be fine

Offline Ahmotorsport

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:43:09 pm »
    Really? :O I wasn't expecting that, well as soon as I have room for a bigger tank im having one. How long will it take for one to be fully grown?

Would Maverick and a Phantom get on? I know Mavericks not a problem, its the Phantom.

100L - Bristlenose (Maverick) L002 Tiger Plec (Loki) 2x Orange Venezuelan Cory, 8x Neon Tetra, 5x Black Neon Tetra, 2x M Guppy, 1x M Bolivian Ram (Aragorn)

Offline scatz

• Pleco Nutter
    • TFF Staff Retired
    • Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:15:48 am »
    it'll be a few years til it gets fully grown, they are slow growers.
    All i can say is that they SHOULD get on, but its not unkown to have a plec with a nasty streak, all you can do is provide them with enough places to hide away if they want to and hope for the best, but i can't imagine you'd have any real aggression problems

Offline Ahmotorsport

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:43:06 am »
    Well i didnt have any trouble with Maverick and an L059, but i just wondered if a Greeny, twice the size would make his presence recognised.

Would it be best to go for a Female? Is it easy to tell the difference  between the two? Really looking to get one now! :P

Offline scatz

• Pleco Nutter
    • TFF Staff Retired
    • Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »
    Females will certainly be less territorial, but you have a 0% chance of sexing a small one.
    Its not the green phantom i'd be worried about anyway as far as aggression goes, its the bn that could get nasty

Offline IanB

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 04:12:54 pm »
    My Green Phantom has grown very little in the months we've had him.. he is quite an aggressive feeder and bullies other fish off food (I think he may have been the reason the L137 went downhill fast and died)..

I have seen him try to bully the L114 but he's a typical bully.. soon as someone stands up to him he backs off.

Tends to be out and about a fair bit too but is typically pleco if there's outside movement.. he naffs off back into hiding.

I leave the room lights off and tank lights on, can get a good look at him then.. lovely fish..
    700L - Sadly gone and sorely missed

2 in the planning.. 30L shrimp tank and 60L Juwel Monolux for shellies

Offline Ahmotorsport

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 04:38:54 pm »
    Good idea to feed two lots then? Two cucumber etc?

Haha I do that with mine!

Cheers for the info, im on the case to get one now!

Offline IanB

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 04:55:37 pm »
    I only chuck one lot of veg in (and the Phantom can eat nearly 3" of courgette overnight - he's perhaps 5" now (body length..)) but Pleco Pellets I throw 2 or 3 (or 4) in and spread them about..

Reckon you just have to see what happens and adjust to suit..

700L - Sadly gone and sorely missed

2 in the planning.. 30L shrimp tank and 60L Juwel Monolux for shellies

Offline Ahmotorsport

• Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 05:26:44 pm »
    Aye, hopefully no issues, but if Maverick fights back its an expensive problem! XD

Offline Ahmotorsport

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:07:29 pm »
    Just asked A2B Aquatics to get one in for me! :)

Will cost me £35 for the fish, £13.25 for postage :) Still over £20 cheaper than my LFS :)