• Total Topics: 70258
  • Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 81
Total: 82

Author Topic: Low budget tank  (Read 5385 times)

Offline fruity

• Est. Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Low budget tank
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:02 pm »
Sound like a successful move to me! :)

Few random plants I chucked in the tank after they arrive via internet order havent grown at all. They were meant for my main tank but I was disgusted with the condition they turned up in and was daft enough not to take pictures as they arrived...

May I ask from where?
Terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless. War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline ynotfish

• TFF Supporter
    • Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 8
    « Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 11:41:48 pm »
    The big question: what do the kids think of it???
    Greetings from T o n y   *2116*
    (Englishman in North Germany!)
    MyTankLog - last update *ages ago*

Offline yorkiemad00

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 02:07:01 pm »
    Moved the fry into the tank at school. Their filter really wasn't keeping up in their small tank, was doing twice daily water changes and dosing amquel. The 60L tank does seem alittle full now.

Guppies at school were all fine, water stats all good.

I am a little concerned though as I recieve an email to say the power will be swtched off on Friday. Minimum of 3 hours. I hope the filter bacteria will just go dormant. Hopefully I will have the same result as sandy10

Sound like a successful move to me! :)

Few random plants I chucked in the tank after they arrive via internet order havent grown at all. They were meant for my main tank but I was disgusted with the condition they turned up in and was daft enough not to take pictures as they arrived...

May I ask from where?

biotopaquatics though it may have been because they were sent during that small heatwave we had. the water lillies I ordered have been fine but there's little that can go wrong with a seed that just starting to shoot.

The big question: what do the kids think of it???

I will find out next Wednesday/Thursday when they come back. My form group do not start till Thursday
    70L tank (Juwel Rekord 700)
    7xSalt& pepper corys, 10xPygmy corys 8x wcmm.
    some red cherry shrimp and a few snails & a couple of limpets
    Tetra 60L with 2 guppiexendlers + fry

Offline yorkiemad00

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 09:35:58 pm »
    Sad day  *bye3*

Went into school early to do a waterchange and feed before the INSET festivities began for the day and the guppies greeted me as per usual looking alittle pale amd missing the alpha female. Soon found her floating in the hornwort at the surface. I am attributing her death to old age but will keep a close eye on the others and give them lots of water changes for the next few weeks.

After a good tank clean and water change, their colours were returning to the other guppies. All other critters seem to be doing fine; shrimps, applesnail, assassins and MTS.

Just need to remember to pick up a some frozen food and some of the food they got used to here. The guppies don't seem to keen on the tetra food at school.

Offline yorkiemad00

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #49 on: September 10, 2012, 08:23:08 pm »
    It's been a tough first week back. Still haven't worked out what the porblem with the guppies was but I am daring to hope they are past the worst. Lost 5 out of the 7 adult guppies. With pale, lethagic, loss of appetite, sunken bellies, stringey white poop.

Snails and shrimp were removed. Tank was dosed with a course of esha 2000 and then Kisuri wormer plus. By friday I was still losing guppies   *bye3*

Monday, after a weekend by themselves, I returned to two remaining adult guppies (+uncounted fry) that eagerly chased and appeared to eat, without spitting out, the food I gave them. The young adult male also seems to be starting to colour up nicely. Very endler black commers with blue, green and some orange starting to appear. *applause* Things finally appear on the up. Some of the fry seem to be maturing. A possibly female seems to be getting a blue snakeskin tail. I will give them a couple of weeks, if all are well I may get a couple of new guppies to add to the gene pool.

Offline yorkiemad00

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 09:20:15 pm »
    Guppies seem all well now. Last 2 adults have survived and some of the first lot of fry are starting to colour up, cant see any more males but there is a nice female with and orange and speckled tail. She's going to be a real stunner when she matures. The fry are all growing extremely fast. Now just doing lots of waterchanges to get rid of any remaining wormer and make it safe for the return of the snails.

Adding a few more cherries from my home tank. I have lots of juvaniles, hopefully one will trun out to be male and I will have a breeding colony at school.

The hornwort is driving my crazy enough that I'm looking for an alternaitive. I am thinking amazon sword plant(s). They have good enough roots to stay put in the gravel. Stem plants are proving impossible to keep rooted and the gravel vacuum if failing to remove much of the little bits of plant in the tank.

The red water lily I added because it wasn't growing/thriving in the soft water at home is amazing. I will try and get some pics. The leave are huge and alovely shimmering red/green.

Offline fruity

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 06:02:26 pm »
    Shame to hear of your guppies, but at least things are back on track now :)
    Terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless. War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful.