• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Author Topic: Bri's Tank Log  (Read 45851 times)

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Bri's Tank Log
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 03:34:26 pm »
loving your artwork :)
look at vallis for your backwalls :)
*worthless*
well done if you have *grin* *applause* :frogdot:
have you voted today?

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline grommit

• Thank You
    • -Given: 106
    • -Receive: 4
    • Thanks for reading, Bri
    « Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 04:10:36 pm »
    loving your artwork :)
    look at vallis for your backwalls :)

Hi Jackie,
    Thx for looking and the nice words.
    My art work is poor I know, your just being kind roflmao
    That Vallis has opened a new idea that you suggested about the back wall..I'm picturing it and think it'll look nice.
    My latest probs wit my tiny brain working over time is the air pump I've mentioned, I don't know much about using it.as its control is on low there's still a lot of bubbles.whould this benefit the planted tank and how would you control it? I.e. when to switch it off and on, does it need to co-incide with the lighting?
    Now the lighting lol sorry now got your attention (I hope lol) due to being away from the flat from aprox 8am to 4pm I'm thinking of a timer to bring on the lights. As I wish to enjoy the tank I'm thinking about mid-day til about 11pm? But this leaves a 13hr time of no light, and I will be feeding 1st thing in the morning and evening when I get the ank established.
    Too much time on my holidays to thinkeh *grin*
    Lastly as you may know I have gravel only and I am weighing up either trying the hair grass, java and vallis on the gravel..or emptying the the tank and starting a new with soil then black roman gravel...
    This new direction is of course is wether it is needed or not and my filter, lighting and air pump is appropriate or not?
    What ya reckon *sos*??
    Right I promise to stop asking......well for now anyways *grin*
    Thanks again,
    Bri
    Aphasia (pronounced uh-fey-zhuh) is a condition caused by injury to the brain and affects a person’s ability to communicate. It is most often the result of stroke or traumatic brain injury. People with aphasia may have difficulty expressing themselves when speaking, difficulty understanding the speech of others, and difficulty reading and writing.

Starting off again after severe illness.
    Thank you.
    Brian

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 04:32:02 pm »
    not sure which air pump you have, with a planted tank it can help if you have it on a timer to come on when lights are out, plants produce CO2 then and the fish would benefit form the extra aeration :)
    get the timer for the lights to come on for between 8-10 hours, thats plenty for them :)
    timers are the way to go :)
    feed whenever you like, some fish prefer to be fed in the dark anyway and most fish will feed whenever cause they are greedy wee beggers, you need to watch out for overfeeding, cause they are always hungry lol, a hungry fish is an active fish, so they say ;)
    I am sure your gravel will be fine for those plants, pop some rootball fertilisers underneath each plant (or small cluster) when you are putting them in, they last a year each ball :) excellent value,
    have a look at the different varieties of the vallis though, you can have corkscrew/twisted/giant allsorts :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Offline grommit

• Thank You
    « Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:45 pm »
    Thanks Jackie,
    The pump says Sera Precision 275 R Plus air pump, it has 2 outlets which was used previously for the two under gravel filters in the big tank.
    But now I have a single pipe buried under gravel and allow the bubbles come out of the air stone and gravel.
    I could of used one of the under gravel filter set ups in the new tank but got advised not to, these ill keep but can't see me using them on the big tank if planting natural plants.
    Gonna search for a double timer as I only found a single plug one so far n it wasn't cheap.
    Bri
    Aphasia (pronounced uh-fey-zhuh) is a condition caused by injury to the brain and affects a person’s ability to communicate. It is most often the result of stroke or traumatic brain injury. People with aphasia may have difficulty expressing themselves when speaking, difficulty understanding the speech of others, and difficulty reading and writing.

Thank you.
    Brian

Offline grommit

• Thank You
    « Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 06:08:26 pm »
    So am I right in saying the air pump is best to come on during the time I have the lights off? As I can set a timer for this aswell as the timer for the timer.
    Just perusing timers on evil bay now *grin*
    Thx
    Bri

Thank you.
    Brian

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »
    aye :)
    you don't really need one at all, its up to you how long you do though if you want to use it, maybe a few hours right in the middle of the lights out till the plants wake up and stop stealing the oxygen from the fish :)
    I had timers laying around so never had to buy new, you don't need one with a fishy brand on it to work your aquarium goodies you know? lol
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Offline grommit

• Thank You
    « Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 10:06:12 pm »
    Thanks,
    I'm not gonna pay the rip off prices for the timers...lol
    Spent nuff the last couple weeks..n like a nutter that's b4 I have a 7 year old who's spending my money like no tomorrow!!
    Bri

Thank you.
    Brian

Offline grommit

• Thank You
    « Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 03:07:31 pm »
    23/08/12 test readings:
    Ph- 7.6
    Ph high- 7.4
    Ammonia- 8.0+
    Nitrite- 5.0
    Nitrate- 5.0

As always I'm  :censored2: at the colour charts lol.
    The ammonia is off the scale I think with the reading only going up to 8.0 using my API master kit.
    At least I'm happy that nitrite & nitrates are showing.
    What does this all tell you experts?
    I am going away for over a week and will only have the light and pump on when my friend pops in to do it for me.
    Now my dilemma will be when I get back is getting the water right for the introduction of the vallis,hair grass and java :down:
    Any advice would be appreciated big time.
    Thx
    Brian

Thank you.
    Brian

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 04:29:25 pm »
    think you have added too much ammonia lol
    don't add anymore till it drops to below 2 then just top up to 2ppm ammonia as you have high nitrites too, if you are not going away till a couple of days yet, test again and if its still off the chart dilute it down for testing, 2.5ml tank water + 2.5ml of tap water, then double the result you get, if its still off the scale then 1ml tank to 4 tap and 5x times the result :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Offline jaytaff

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • Fish Addict
    « Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 04:49:08 pm »
    If it is indeed that high, all the waiting in the world is not going to drop it, it simply kills off bacteria or makes them dorment.

Need a water change to bring it down to an acceptable level, like 4 or 2ppm :)

I would suggest, clean the tube to make sure and recheck the ammonia test :)

Offline grommit

• Thank You
    « Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 05:24:50 pm »
    Thx again guys n girls for the help.
    Gonna clean the test tube out then re-check ammonia.
    Water change imminent 25% check in the morning.
    I will do a check when I'm back and at least I can be doing daily water changes there.
    But as I mentioned befor if I'm going to plant natural I will have to start over with a total clean out then re start the cycle again..
    I think my second reading of actual ammonia was done too quickly and I added too much ammonia....not allowing the ammonia already in to work it's magic.
     :mad:
    Thx again
    Bri

Thank you.
    Brian

Offline grommit

• Thank You
    « Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 05:29:30 pm »
    I've just remembered I was pointed out that my tank is actually 110ltrs not 131...n I added ammonia for a 131ltr tank :censored2:

*oops*

Thank you.
    Brian

Offline grommit

• Thank You
    « Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »
    25% water change
    readings are:
    Ph- 7.6
    Ammonia- 4.0
    Nitrite- 5.0
    Nightrate- 40

so i've managed to get the ammonia down but what about the nitrate level of 40 :confused:
    another reading in the morning.
    thx,
    Bri

Thank you.
    Brian

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:57 pm »
    save your nitrate test for after you are cycled, wasted just now :)  not a worry anyway as your plants will use them up :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Offline jaytaff

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • Fish Addict
    « Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 10:31:06 pm »
    Personally at this stage I would test every other day with that ammonia now at 4.0.   Wait until it gets to 0 then top up to 2.0ppm.

As for the nitrates as jackie said, ignore them, they may and probably will go a lot higher :)