• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 47
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

Author Topic: 200l AquaOak (Video Added 29/09)  (Read 6669 times)

Kedge

200l AquaOak (Video Added 29/09)
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:38:20 pm »
Have at last got my tank from Maidenhead Aquatics  *grin*

Yesterday I managed to get the substrate cleaned and the tank filled with RO water from Maindenhead Aquatics which was free of charge, although I'm starting to think I may regret using RO water for the water cycle. Also managed to get a cube of sponge filter from a mates aquarium which will hopefully help things along.

Here's how the tank is looking at the moment, lights have just been chucked in for now to get an idea of what the lights look like. The bogwood will get moved around, not even sure it's all going to stay at the moment either.

Current setup is;
200l AquaOak Aquarium
Fluval 406
Fluval Vuetech Heater E200
Hagen GLO 39w T5 Twin Ballast
Vital Narva 39 Watt
Grolux Sylvania 39 Watt

Flourite Black Sand
Various Bogwood
Plants are on order from last-trading-post

Tank has now been running for just over 24hrs and these are the water stats after that period;
Ammonia - 0.25 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5 ppm
PH - 7.4

According to the ammonia calculator I need to add 6.46 ml of ammonia, will try 4ml for now though.

Cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:49:25 pm by Kedge »

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Kedge

Re: 200l AquaOak
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31:53 pm »
    Just added 5ml of ammonia and the test showed 1ppm, will leave it until the morning and see whether that's gone up anymore.

Offline yorkiemad00

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:42:12 pm »
    Lovely tank. I absolutely adore those with the oak cabinents. Bet it will look amazing when planted out.

Lol MA are sneaky. I guess they will be charging you for the RO water needed for the water changes after you have finished cycling?

I found it cheaper to buy an RO unit off ebay. Under £50 including p&p. + £5 for a hosepipe tap attachment. Its a portable one so goes away when I have enough water (1.5H for 9L) I mix the 9L RO with 2L tap to make my desired hardness.
    70L tank (Juwel Rekord 700)
    7xSalt& pepper corys, 10xPygmy corys 8x wcmm.
    some red cherry shrimp and a few snails & a couple of limpets
    Tetra 60L with 2 guppiexendlers + fry

Offline fruity

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:33 pm »
    Are there many benefits from using a reverse osmosis doo-daa (technical term).
    Terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless. War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful.

Kedge

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:07:21 am »
    Lovely tank. I absolutely adore those with the oak cabinents. Bet it will look amazing when planted out.

Lol MA are sneaky. I guess they will be charging you for the RO water needed for the water changes after you have finished cycling?

I found it cheaper to buy an RO unit off ebay. Under £50 including p&p. + £5 for a hosepipe tap attachment. Its a portable one so goes away when I have enough water (1.5H for 9L) I mix the 9L RO with 2L tap to make my desired hardness.

They are really nice cabinets, I couldn't go for anything else after seeing them. Should last much better than a traditional vaneered cabinet.

Yea, they'll be charging for future water although I've got about 75l left over but I dare say that won't be any use in a few weeks time?

Interested to hear more about your RO unit, now I've got the tank filled I'm starting to think that a small RO unit set up like yours won't be too costlyu to run for a weekely water change, my only issue is the fact i'm on a water meter, although I could run it at my Mums since she's not.  I'm looking to have a South American setup once cycled so I need to lower my tap KH & GH.

Test this morning;
    Ammonia - 0.5 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm

Added 6ml of Ammonia and will test when I get home from work tonight.

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 31
    • -Receive: 10
    « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:33:45 am »
    gorgeous tank and cabinet, love the bogwood and I hope you are not leaving them cables like that lol
    whats your tap water pH after being left out for 24 hours?  did you get readings for the tap gH, kH as well?
    how do you know they are too high for the fish you want to keep?
    *worthless*
    well done if you have *grin* *applause* :frogdot:
    have you voted today?

Kedge

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 12:03:00 pm »
    No, no lol. The cables will be routed around the back once i get some screws to mount the unit on the back and the bulb holders in the hood.

Hadn't tested the PH of the tap water after 24hrs, the PH wasn't the problem though with my tap water. GH was 16° & KH was 9°, bit too much for the Dwarf Cichlids really.

Kedge

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »
    Tonight's stats;

Ammonia - 1 ppm
    Nitrite - 0 ppm

6ml of ammonia added.

Kedge

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 12:04:22 pm »
    This morning I've also noticed on one of the bogwoods some white mold type substance, any ideas what this could be?

Ammonia is slowly creeping up.

Water stats;
    Ammonia - 2 ppm
    Nitrite - 0 ppm
    Nitrate - 0 ppm
    PH - 7.4
    kh - 5°
    gh - 5°

6ml pf ammonia added.
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:58:58 pm by Kedge »

Offline jam163

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 2
    « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 12:53:41 pm »
    It happens on new Bogwood, its nothing to worry about.  :-)

Kedge

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 11:39:09 pm »
    That's ok then  *grin*

Kedge

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 06:01:13 pm »
    Today's stats;

Ammonia - 1 ppm
    Nitrite - 0 ppm

12ml of ammonia added since I've not got anywhere near the recommended 4 ppm yet *blink*, hope that won't be too much.

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:36:55 pm »
    there is a calculator off to the left <<< it will tell you how much to add to your tank when you tell it how much you have already to get to the 4ppm, or did you use it? lol  don't mind me :)
    100litre tank takes around 5ml added ammonia, think you are a wee bitty over with adding 12 when you already had 1 lol
    did you count the litres as you added them to get exact water content?  don't think at this stage it will matter that much :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Kedge

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 09:42:23 pm »
    Yea i used that tool, there's approx 155l in the tank and according the the calculator I only needed to add 6.46ml but that not proving to get me anywhere near 4ppm. I suppose the Homebase Ammonia might be pretty weak, doesn't say on the bottle.

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »
    after a quick google, some say its 9.5% others say they had to double the dose to get the ammonia reading they needed to cycle :) happy adding :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?