• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 47
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36

Author Topic: Teriyaki's 90L Fluval  (Read 1301 times)

MrsTeriyaki

Teriyaki's 90L Fluval
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:27:00 pm »

Hello all

So I've been waiting a while to start my tank log, I've spent a few months on here asking questions, researching and getting familiar with the fish-less cycle process. My cousin gave me her 90litre fluval tank (60wx30dx35h centimetres) to start up our first tropical tank. It comes with the bulky standard internal filter which I would like to change for an Eheim Aquaball eventually, I can't imagine this current one has a great output?

We're going for a peaceful planted community tank with bright colours, here is the list:

x2 Dwarf Gourami
x1 Blue Ram (suitable for my tank?)
x2 Otos
x5 Galaxy Rasboras (Somebody mentioned these will get eaten so I was planning on getting them first and letting them grow before introducing anything that might possible munch them, how does this sound?)
Shrimps

Plants:
Frogbit or penny worth (floats)
(small)Anubias heterophylla - rare
Myriophyllum
(big)Swords
indian red water lilies
Tiger lotus?
java ferns

I've really no knowledge on plants this is just a list I've accumulated. Is EasyCarbo all I need to add?

I'm due to start my cycle very shortly, waiting the last few bits. Regarding water treatments, I only have Interpret Bioactive Tapsafe. Is this all that needs to be added to the water? (excluding ammonia for the cycle)

Aesthetically I'd like the tank to be natural looking and I'm going with the idea that chrisjj used for his beautiful scape. Headed to get the soil and lava rock etc on Saturday.. then the cycle will begin! I will try to post results regularly.. thanks  *buba*

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline fruity

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    Re: Teriyaki's 90L Fluval
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:09:36 pm »
    Hi there,

Does the internal filter have any branding or model numbers on? Could perhaps track down its capacity etc and see how suitable it would be.

A bottle of seachem prime would be a good addition, it seems to be similar to that tapsafe you already have, but is well regarded on the forums.

You need to pick up a test kit too. One for pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. API do a freshwater master test kit, might be a place to start. If you check ebay you might well get it for a fair bit less than the local LFS. I recall plankton said one brand of test kit is much the same as the next, so wouldn't fret about a specific brand!

Have a check about any soil (substrata I feel you mean :) ) You intend to get, and that it would be suitable for your fish. If any fish you might get would like to dig about in the substrata for example then you'd need a smooth edged gravel, or perhaps even sand.

Plant wise easy-carbo and some root tabs would be a great place to start. Root tabs provide the plants with the micro portion of their diet as it were (elements and/or minerals they need in small quantities). Some plants will not like the environment in the tank though (high ammonia and perhaps temperature) So you'll have to get nice hardy plants.

edit: sorry I don't have the knowledge to comment on your intended fish choices! The experts will be about sooner or later to help!
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:11:11 pm by fruity »
    Terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless. War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful.

MrsTeriyaki

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:38:36 pm »

Thanks for your reply,

I cant see any model number it just says Juwel filter, I tried googling it but to no success!

Is Seachem Prime necessary? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/bioactive-tap-safe-125ml-by-interpet-34755#product_tab1 This stuff seems good I used it in my last tank.

Sorry I thought I mentioned I had the API Master Test Kit on the way!  *buba*

I've studied around and decided on JBL Manado as it'll go well in the raised plant idea I'm going with and is suitable under gravel. I have some smooth gravel too.

Ok root tabs, great I wasn't sure if they were needed aswell as EasyCarbo. I will look into plants too, thank you

Offline johnbow

• Thank You
    • -Given: 21
    • -Receive: 26
    « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:55:38 am »
    Hello!

I've got the same tank as you,if it's the filter that came with it it's probably a Fluval U2 filter which is powerful enough for a 90 litre tank.I think it's rated at 400 litres per hour which is ok if you use 4x filtration. It is a lump of a filter,i've got mine in the centre of the back wall of the tank so it can suck up waste on both sides.

I use easy carbo and Johnny ferts for my plants,click on the link for aquarium plants uk on the left of the page if you want a look. I bought it as a starter kit which is the cheapest way to do it. TFF members get a discount if you put in the code tff666.

Offline fruity

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:13:02 am »
    I think you need to be logged into his site to get the forum discount, as in not a guest? I think.. Or is it that you have to be logged into TFF at the same time. One or the other, don't remember!
    Terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless. War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful.

Offline johnbow

• Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 08:16:10 am »
    You just need to sign up on the aquarium website page,it takes seconds.No need to be logged into tff at the same time.

MrsTeriyaki

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:54:18 pm »

Ok thank you, I think I will introduce EasyCarbo and root tabs..

Just tested my PH and it seems to be 7.4, will let water stand and test in 24 hours..

MrsTeriyaki

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 11:58:20 pm »

Just tested again, really cannot tell the reading. I did the normal ph test and it reads 6.6-6.7, then I did the high ph test and came out at what I think is 6.4.. thoughts? Is this ph level okay for my fish list? Thanks

MrsTeriyaki

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:52:07 pm »

So the cycle has officially begun!

Set everything up tonight, had to move the tank because the stand it was on didn't seem like it would take the weight. Tested the ammonia, it came out at 0.25, so I added according to the Ammonia Calc topping it up to 4ppm. When should I test next? What are peoples usual testing routines? I was thinking I just test every night then add, so once a day. What is best?

Also I have not added my bog wood (still soaking) or any plants yet, can I do this along the way? I'm wondering because I am planning on using Easy Carbo and root tabs - wont these effect the cycle?

Are the lights required to be on during the cycle?

Offline WBT12

• Thank You
    • -Given: 7
    • -Receive: 155
    « Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 11:39:25 pm »
    Test daily, and top up ammonia as required...

Lights not necessary...

Slightly higher temp may help... But remember to turn back down once cycled and ready for fish... roflmao

Plants and bogwood can go in (if memory serves me right)...

Don't put oto's in until tank matured, say for some 3 or so months. They are big algae eaters and need a consistent and plentiful supply... and algae wafers occasionally to supplement...

Not that well up on plants but know Swords can be very demanding for nutrients... But reckon with the root tabs and Johnnys stuff you'll have that covered... And when planting Swords trim the tips of the roots off to encourage growth, push into the substrate them pull them up slightly so you can see a mm or 2 of the roots, to keep the crown (the white bit at the base) just above the substrate.

Sure others will pop along to both advise on your other fish and plant choices... And maybe's correct me... roflmao

WBT
    30 ltr (1)
    Cherry Red Shrimp +
    2 Rasbora Urophthalmoides Brigittae

30 ltr (2)
    1 Betta (M) +
    Algae Shrimp

MrsTeriyaki

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:52 pm »

Anybody know why the inside of the top of the lid is wet, the light bulb etc is covered in water.. it's not submerged so I don't know what's happening..

Also is it normal for my water to be a little green/yellow?

Test results:

Ammonia: 0.50
    PH: 7.4-7.6 (cannot tell, normal PH test says 7.6, high PH test shows lighter than 7.4)
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5.0

Thanks

Offline johnbow

• Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58:52 pm »
    It's the same on my tank,you get condensation on the lid and bulbs,it's perfectly normal. The ends of the bulbs are fitted into the sockets and have a rubber cover (sorry can't think of a better word) to keep water off the connections.

If your lid is the same as mine it's split into 3 sections. Jus tip one end up over the tank if your taking it off to get rid of the excess so you don't get water everywhere. If your just lifting the flap for feeding it will run off on it's own and the top should remain dry.

MrsTeriyaki

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 09:40:46 pm »
    Results:

PH: 8.2
    Ammonia: 8
    Nitrate:0
    Nitrite:0

So things have really gone up!

As you can see the water has gone even murkier. Even when I fill a test tube I can see small green bits floating around, what is this? I washed my gravel and rocks.. I think it's coming from the filter which came from my cousins old tank. What should I do? Any ideas on my test results rise?

Should I do a water change with ammonia that high?
    Thanks
    « Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:51:11 pm by MrsTeriyaki »

MrsTeriyaki

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 07:52:41 am »

Ok so I did a water change last night, about 15%. Not sure if this was the right thing to do!

This morning the readings are 4.0ppm so I'm leave until tonight. Still unsure about the green water, anyone?