• Total Topics: 70257
  • Online Today: 99
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 46
Total: 48

Author Topic: 200l AquaOak (Video Added 29/09)  (Read 6575 times)

Kedge

Re: 200l AquaOak
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 10:42:44 am »
Well since you asked nicely, here's some of the greenery :P

Can see that the Vallisneria has proven me wrong about ditching the others no it throwing out a couple of runners and some growth on the main plant. Can also just about pick out some inhabitants I spotted last night, 4 tiny snails. Hope they're not the sort the bread like crazy.

Water stats from yesterday;
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 5ppm
Nitrate - 80ppm

Ph - 7.4
Kh - 5
Gh - 6

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 31
    • -Receive: 10
    « Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 01:18:03 pm »
    its taking good shape, well done with the planting, not all in the substrate, gives a different view to the tank :)
    *worthless*
    well done if you have *grin* *applause* :frogdot:
    have you voted today?

Kedge

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:06 pm »
    It's getting there, will be moving one of the Java Ferns as it's not tied very well and I'm in the process of making a cave to go on the back. Just hope the algae will bugger off, making things look really messy.

Big news on the water stats today..................BYE BYE NITRITES *applause*

Ammonia - 0ppm
    Nitrites - 0ppm
    Nitrates - 80ppm
    12ml Ammonia Added.

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 09:26:33 am »
    why add that much ammonia? shouldn't you be aiming for 2ppm now?  so around 4ml to add?  or was yours the one that wouldn't work unless you added loads more than specified? sorry I get confused lol
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Kedge

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 10:16:11 am »
    Yea, 12ml gets me up to 2ppm rather than 6ml that the calculator said would get me to 4ppm.

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 10:33:52 am »
    certainly has been a fast cycle, well done :) when are you getting your fish?
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Kedge

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 10:38:45 am »
    It has, very happy about that! Sunday at the earliest but more likely Monday.

I've got some RO water left from when I filled the tank I've kept in water containers. Would this still be ok to use when I do the big water change or do I need to get fresh water?

Offline Liz89

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    • Has a terminal case of MTS!!
    « Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 01:58:20 pm »
    Can't wait to see this one with fish in! It looks lovely so far!  *applause* I like the green on the wood it's really natural looking!
    400L: 2 Platys, 9 Neons, 4 Sterbai Corys ,2 parent Kribs(12 saleable fry),1SAE, 5 Bosemans (soon to be changed.

And a Baby!

Kedge

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:59 pm »
    The green on the wood is growing on me, just don't like it on the grass or on & amongst the plants. Noticed a huge jump in the snail population, counted 16 today, hope this isn't the beginnings of an infestation already.

Water stats are all good today again;
    Ammonia - 0ppm
    Nitrite - 0ppm
    Nitrate - 80ppm

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 02:09:30 pm »
    I am sure the RO will be fine in the containers :) not long now :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Kedge

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2012, 04:03:10 pm »
    That's good with the RO then, looks fine so fingers crossed it'll be good. Water stats are still good so all being well they'll be some fish in there tomorrow. What sort of numbers will be OK to add? Obviously need enough to produce enough ammonia for the filter bacteria. I went A5 aquatics and spoke to an old chap there who was saying no more than 8 fish and that I need to use some form of cycle safe treatment once the fish go in, but surely with the cycle I've done I don't need to do anything like that as my filter is already working. So far none of the aquatics places I've spoken to say the same thing or are aware of the fishless cycle I've been doing *dontknow*

Anyway, the algae is still growing thicker despite my every increasing snail population, there's definitely two types as well. My phone i'nt picking up good pictures of them since they're still so small. One sort has a flat Danish Swirl type shell (only seen 2 of these) and the others have the more common cone type shell.

While I was at A5 Aquatics I couldn't help myself and bought some thick bits of slate rock for to make a cave;

The Vallisneria is continuing to spread nicely, the baby plant and the right as sent out a runner of it's own and the one on the left looks like it's got one coming as well *grin*;

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #41 on: September 08, 2012, 09:01:41 pm »
    yeah, they just don't get it, after you have cycled with ammonia you can fully stock your tank (mind and leave room for cory or neons as its best to add them to at least a 3 month with fish)
    check aquadvisor for compatible fish and numbers, should help :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Kedge

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2012, 09:30:33 pm »
    Ahhh, was hoping to add the neons early on, although considering Cardinals as well, do they fall into the same scenario?

Will I have to wait to add other Catfish such as Royal Whiptails?

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »
    sorry don't know about those ones, shout plankton to confirm in the morning though if you are around before buying, think he comes in mainly in the mornings :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Offline fruity

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 06:53:43 am »
    Seem to recall a post from plankton about a lot of cardinals having problems, was it in breeding or disease? I really do not recall, sorry, might be worth asking his most knowledgeable specifics, on what to check if you buy some.
    Terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless. War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful.