• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 86
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Author Topic: 200l AquaOak (Video Added 29/09)  (Read 6703 times)

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 10
Re: 200l AquaOak
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2012, 04:50:40 pm »
think its all overbreeding really which weakens the strains :)
neons used to be quite hardy a hunner years ago ;)
*worthless*
well done if you have *grin* *applause* :frogdot:
have you voted today?

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Kedge

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:50 pm »
    That's what I've heard, will wait to add those then, if I go for them.

Well I have fish now, was hoping to get some in yesterday but by the time I'd had a few hours sleep after my nightshift and got the water change done I only had time to get to local aquatics but despite going to three none had anything I really wanted or that I was prepared to risk at this stage so I stayed patient and took a trip all the way up to Wharf Aquatics today! WOW, the fish looked much healthier than anywhere else I've been.

I chose to go for a modest number for the initial introduction. The first were already on the shopping list, 5 Black Phantom Tetras, 2 males and 3 females. Then the second group is 5 Rosy Tetras, was planning on Red Phantoms but saw these in the next tank and after several minutes thought I went for the Rosy's. Both groups are sticking fairly closely together.

Finally, despite having decided that I wouldn't be having any (although the last couple of days I had been looking at them again) I just couldn't resist and bought 3 Upside Down Catfish. I'd had these when I was a kid and they survived all my mistakes, a heater sticking on overnight and a tank change and never bothered any of the other fish, the only thing was I only had 2 and they just hid, since going into the tank this afternoon they have hardly stopped exploring even after putting the light on, very happy.

I've tried taking some pics but my phone really isn't very good at capturing  a decent pic of the fish, especially the Catfish!

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 04:03:31 pm »
    lovely wee fish :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Offline Clo99

• Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #48 on: September 16, 2012, 09:41:44 pm »
    Hi Kedge, it's looking good so far!  I like the dark substrate.

Out of interest, how long did you have to wait for delivery of your aqua oak, and what peripherals did MH Aquatics recommend (if at all).  I'm seriously thinking about getting one, with an Eheim external filter, and possibly LED lighting.  How have you attached your lights - did you buy mounting brackets or attach them to the hood?

I had a look at some upside down catfish today - interesting fish!
    Juwel Rio 125:
    9 Cardinal Tetra
    11 Rummy Nose Tetra
    5 Chocolate Kuhli loach
    5 Pygmy Corydoras
    5 Red Cherry Shrimp
    2 Assassin snails

Kedge

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »
    Hi Clo, I think it was 3 to 4 weeks I had to wait as they were waiting for a shipment from the manufacturers. They wrote me out a list of things but didn't seem to want to do a package deal as such so I shopped around at other places.

I've just used the clips/mounts that came with the light unit and screwed them into the lid, one on the rear section and one on the opening.

I love upside down catfish, they only thing is they hide a hell of a lot. Mine have now all taken to the large inside of the large bogwood just right of center for the majority of the time.

I've also added a few more fish, I've upped the number of Rosy Tetras and Black Phantoms so I've got 2 males and 6 females of each I've also added 10 Ember Tetras which are doing a good job of adding activity to the more open areas of the tank.

Only issue I seem to have at the moment is I'm struggling to get the nitrates down since adding the fish I've done 3 50l water changes.

Offline fruity

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    « Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 06:30:47 pm »
    Looking very nice :) What's the next thing you'll tweak?
    Terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless. War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful.

Kedge

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »
    There's already a few extra plants in there, will get some pics later. I'm still getting annoyed with the algae though, cleaned up some of the wood but most of the moss is clogged up quite badly. Not sure whether it's too early to add something like a Royal Whiptail Catfish or a small plec.

Offline Clo99

• Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    « Reply #52 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:22 pm »
    I don't think I have seen Ember tetras in my lfs.  They are lovely little fish. Don't think they would like my water though, as I struggle with my PH which is nudging 8 (if I am deciding the colour on the test kit correctly!)

My cardinals seem to cope OK with it, but I think they are much hardier than they used to be, whereas the neons are weaker nowadays. 

Fingers crossed the algae will settle down.  How long do you have your lights on for?
    Juwel Rio 125:
    9 Cardinal Tetra
    11 Rummy Nose Tetra
    5 Chocolate Kuhli loach
    5 Pygmy Corydoras
    5 Red Cherry Shrimp
    2 Assassin snails

Kedge

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »
    They're not a fish I'd looked at at all, I'd even missed them in the shop until I saw them in a planted display tank. Read up about them before going back the next day to get them.

My Nitrates are down to 20ppm now which is the lowest I've got it so far and the algae does seem to be growing a bit slower so hopefully they'll come down some more and this will help starve the algae. I have the light on a timer for 8hrs a day.

I'd like some Cardinals at some point, I've read the same about them tending to be hardier than the Neons now, what sort of areas of the tank do the keep to? I'd like some more fish out in the more open areas of the tank as the Rosy's and Phantoms love playing around in the plants.

Here's some floating plants I've added which are being held in my a ring or airline.

Some short grass in the left hand corner.

Third plant added to the rear of the tank.

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 02:36:07 pm »
    think bristlenose plecs can be added to new tanks, its just the finicky picky super priced plecs that need special super dooper care than can't or rather shouldn't be :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Offline fruity

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    « Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 05:54:16 pm »
    Super stuff, can you take a piccy of the whole tank in one shot :)
    Terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless. War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful.

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 07:44:18 pm »
    august 20th to september 5th? very quick cycle, whats your secret?
           might have been the RO water?
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:47:39 pm by jackiemcg34 »
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?

Kedge

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2012, 02:11:05 pm »
    Super stuff, can you take a piccy of the whole tank in one shot :)

Will get one over the weekend for you :)

august 20th to september 5th? very quick cycle, whats your secret?
           might have been the RO water?

I'm not sure really, first time I've done this. I think the main factor might be that I got some filter sponge out of a mates filter to put in mine at the start.

Kedge

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2012, 02:29:30 pm »
    Just a little update on how the tank is evolving. I've had to remove the floating weed as it was dying off quite quickly, not sure whether the lights were too much for it, but they're only on for 8hrs, so I need to find another type of floating weed to go in. I've also had to have a big chop back of the bushy plant next to the filter as that had quite a lot of dead in the middle of it, shame because the fish love swimming in that but it's looking healthy enough and throwing up new growth, all the other plants are growing on well.

The nitrates are still sitting at around 20ppm despite multiple water changes :confused: but the algae is rescinding nicely now, the fact that the snails are breeding like guppies is helping with that, I think I'll be adding Assassin snails before Christmas at this rate.

All the fish seem very happy, needless to say [email protected] not seeing much of the Upside Down Catfish but that was to be expected. All the Tetras are getting along, there's the on nipped fin on the Black Phantoms but they seem to heal quite quickly, only seems to be the females that are suffering. Really enjoying the Rosy and Black Phantoms as they seem to explore every parts of the tank, the only place I've not seem them swim into is the Catfish Layer, but then it's pitch black in there. They also seem to give the snails a lot of grief, especially at feeding time  :laughingcrying:

Will be doing another water change today or tomorrow and then hopefully going fish shopping at some point over the weekend. I've fallen for some Golden Eye Dwarf Cichlids at my local LFS but they'd sold out of females  *blink*

Offline jackiemcg34

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #59 on: September 27, 2012, 04:37:08 pm »
    20ppm nitrates are fine, panic a wee bit if they get to 120ppm :)
    *worthless*
    have you voted today?