• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 76
Total: 76

Author Topic: Motorbikes  (Read 87877 times)

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 288
Motorbikes
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:31:20 pm »
I'm in need of a motorbike, so thought I'd canvas some opinion.

I did a CBT in 2004, and ran a 125 for nearly a year, but haven't (until today) been back on a bike for 7 years. Today was my CBT, and achieved it with flying colours. They also assessed me for my full licence, and decided I had enough ability and comfort on the road, I could do a 3 day course. Result! Saves some money :-)

So, I've done loads of theory practice and get between 48 and 50 all the time, I've also had a practice DVD for the Hazard Perception test, but that, while always a pass, could do with being better, so I've just ordered the DSA DVD for extra practice, and have my theory test booked for the 5th October.

Now, all being well, and they allow me a licence to ride anything out there, it's a case of what to get. I'm looking for a tourer with full fairings and heated grips (although the latter can be retro-fitted), around the 650cc mark, and around the £2000 price tag. I'd ideally also like to buy one with a 3 box set as it'll be cheaper than buying new (about £500 apparently).

The reason I'm looking for a bike with a 650 engine and at that price is purely insurance. Value has the biggest impact on insurance, followed by the cc to a much lesser extent. I'll be using the bike for long motorway journeys, so I need good mpg (hence a 650 over a 1000), and comfort - so fairings and heated grips for inclement weather is a must.

Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed for a well priced bike with good mpg and a low insurance cost.

Thank you all!

D
Become a tax dodger. Give up smoking, drinking and driving.

Photo comps open!
Don't forget to enter and vote!

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline bigfrogs

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 1
    • If I had every fish I wanted I'd need an aqualung
    Re: Motorbikes
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:47:11 pm »
    Oooo very exciting Damo!!!!!!
    I would go for half a bandit(600-650) as a first proper bike.Cheap insurance,reliable and there are loads of after market parts available at very good prices.They can be a bit sluggish around town but swapping the front sprocket for a 14 tooth one sorts out the problem for about £10. 
    400 ltr
    11 Emperor tetras
    10 Red phanton tetras
    2 BNC
    6 Peppered corys
    4 Bronze laser corys
    7 Boeseman rainbows

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:55:56 pm »
    Hi Andy, after I'd posted I thought of you! Seen a fair few about, and they're all at good prices.

I was told that I'm coming in to the good time of year to buy bikes as folk sell them after the summer.

Only thing that concerns me with the Bandit (from what I've seen of them) is they have a small windshield and I've not seen any with fairings, or have I been looking at the wrong ones? I will be doing bonkers journeys in all weather conditions, all year round with moderate amounts of luggage.

Where do you recommend for bikes? Few towards your way, though I have Jordan's down the road.

Photo comps open!

Offline stonec0ld

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 20
    « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
    Have you looked at the Honda varadero 650? Or the transalp? Or suzuki vstrom? You should be able to find a decent one with panniers and top box. Maybe heated grips too, although if they're aftermarket grips make sure they're hooked up correctly. All those bikes have decent screens for wind protection.

Will a 650 be enough for you? Have a look for a Honda VFR 800 or perhaps a cheap 2nd hand triumph tiger. Might be worth the extra in the long run

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:21:21 pm »
    Thanks Paul, I'll have a google at those later.

I've looked at the V-Strom, and I really liked it, need to be the full in GT version.

I love Triumphs, I'd actually love a Daytona, and if I had a bike purely for pleasure, that would be it. Tigers are nice too, and saw a Trophy 900 for a steal, but it was quite oid.

As for what engine size - it's not so much about the insurance, but the fuel economy. I think I'm the only person on the planet who's looking at bike mpg! It's so hard to find it out. However, V-Strom 650 (2012 model) will do about 55mpg, Trophy 900 does 45mpg, so the smaller engine is preferable. What were your concerns over the 650s vs the 800s?

Photo comps open!

Offline Lee F

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:24:57 pm »
    I would recomend a bandit, there not fastest bikes out there but lots of fun, its one of many bikes i owned and really enjoyed riding

Mine was streetfightered and had two very important mods that i never realised how much of a diffference it made till i rode a 600 bandit recently and was disapointed and that is Dynojet kit along with K &N Filter and race can

The bike i rode recently felt really flat and boring and under powered the one i had that had these mods was so much fun, i lok back on that bike with fond memorys

Ive had loads of bikes since that one but i still rate it as a very fun and yet practicle bike, perfect for day to day riding

I went on too a 1200 bandit when i got used to the power of the 600, but it was never as much fun as you couldnt really run it flat out all over the place where the 600 everyday there was a chance to thrash it

Yeah no fairing but in some ways they are good others they are bad

Good for stopping your head getting ripped off at 130mph wind (about as fast as the 600 bandit goes)

Horrible in hot weather or really windy wheather

Id say more importantly get the best bash hat you can shoei or arai are my favorite, i find both very comfortable

And same with Jacket and trouser cheap ones dont last and let water in expensive last for years Dainese or alpanstars both very good

And more importantly when you get knocked off means less breaks bruises aches and pains

Or second choice not really a tourer but worth a look at cbr600, in my opionion honda make the most reliable bikes and when you ride them they do everything how you would want, be it a cbr600 900 or vtr or any of there bikes hondas have a feel about them that is very comforting, it wont break down (well pretty rare and normally a aftermarket alarm is to blame)

Or Fazer 600 good for what your after, but the build quality is nothing like a honda

As for luggage Top box is convieniant, but dont find you would really need side boxes day in day out, id say go with throwover bags, good thing with these you can take em from bike to bike

Look at Kriega gear this is fantastic gear, not cheapest but very very good quality will last you years

Offline wobblewobble

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »
    SV 650 S

nice cheap reliable bike

Offline Lee F

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:27:43 pm »
    i could do you a very good deal on a 955I tiger with luggage

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »
    Lots of tempting suggestions coming in! :) Lots of googling coming up soon!

The luggage racks are essential. I will be using this bike to go to jobs nationwide. The reason I thoughts of boxes is that they will lock on to the bike, thus being secure. And weather protection is essential.

As for top speed - that's of little consequence, as long as it can handle typical motorway flow speeds, it'll be more than adequate!

Tiger sounds very tempting, got a pic and a rough price? Might throw it through gocompare for an idea on insurance, plus any ideas as to mpg?

Can one have fairings fitted to most bikes?

Thanks!

Damian

Photo comps open!

Offline stonec0ld

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 20
    Re: Re: Motorbikes
    « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 08:51:37 pm »
    Thanks Paul, I'll have a google at those later.

I've looked at the V-Strom, and I really liked it, need to be the full in GT version.

I love Triumphs, I'd actually love a Daytona, and if I had a bike purely for pleasure, that would be it. Tigers are nice too, and saw a Trophy 900 for a steal, but it was quite oid.

As for what engine size - it's not so much about the insurance, but the fuel economy. I think I'm the only person on the planet who's looking at bike mpg! It's so hard to find it out. However, V-Strom 650 (2012 model) will do about 55mpg, Trophy 900 does 45mpg, so the smaller engine is preferable. What were your concerns over the 650s vs the 800s?
    Only thing I was thinking was how comfortable a 650 would be on motorways for long journeys. Thought an 800 would be better plus quicker away at lights and such. That said it all depends on the bike, I've got a GSX R 600 that's much quicker away than the VFR. I toured around Canada on a VFR, decent bike but not particularly exciting.

Offline Lee F

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 09:03:18 pm »
    I dont seem to have any pics on it since i had a harddisc go down a few months ago, something else ive just realised i lost grrr

But i havent ridden it for a while, not sure of mpg to be honest i know it has a good tank range 200 miles plus, which is a big thing to consider if touring

Last time i rode it was to spain to watch motogp, thats all ive really used it for and it was very comfortable, i came back from barcelona in one day of solid ridding think thats about 1000 miles, oh yeah its got a gel seat which is probably why so comfortable

It was involved in a crash at some part of life and is registered as a cat C but has been repaired by previous owner

Its got a few scratches on it, Crash bars i added and extra accessory socket, triumph race can with road legal plate on to make it look legal, inner  triumph soft luggage bags, progressive front springs, high screen, race screen loadsa extras realy

Needs a new set of heated grips as one not working

Colour is silver and black

I would sell her for £2500, which is very very cheap for one of these check em out on ebay

Its a 2005 model, i would say only thing worth doing is changing the break discs to floating discs cause as standard there pretty naff in comparison to other bikes

Offline Lee F

• Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 09:05:37 pm »
    VFR 800 yes very good bike, definatly one for the list, cant go wrong with honda

Offline bigfrogs

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 1
    • If I had every fish I wanted I'd need an aqualung
    « Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 09:12:29 pm »
    You can have a fairing fitted if some one makes it for your bike.I just did a little digging and found this-http://www.fastbikebits.com/product/1510/suzuki-bandit-full-fairing
    400 ltr
    11 Emperor tetras
    10 Red phanton tetras
    2 BNC
    6 Peppered corys
    4 Bronze laser corys
    7 Boeseman rainbows

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 10:05:55 pm »
    Been a googling.

I do like the Varadero best so far, very smart looking thing, although there's no 650s within 50 miles of here according to Autotrader, plenty of 1000s and 125s though. Not sure the VFR or the SV will be suitable for the use the bike will be getting, although both, particularly the VFR seem lovely bikes.

Back to the Triumph - the 955i looks like it has the mpg, first couple of reviews suggest 50mpg if ridden steadily, and reports of 60mpg @ 60mph, but that's a wee bit slow for motorways these days. MCN suggests 44mpg, but at your price with all the luggage sets, it's ticking boxes. Just looked at insurance, and cheapest quote was on a par with most, although oddly enough the next dearest was considerably more than the cheapest which I haven't seen with other quotes. The only think concerning me is weather protection for the legs, can't seem to find an after market fairing.

Saw this too... http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/NT650V-DEAUVILLE/2004/_/R-NXGN-2242923?mfy=42.210599

Just checked insurance on the Deauville based on on '05 model @ £3300 - comes in at £250 CHEAPER than an '06 V-Strom, which so far has been the cheapest but one bike I've looked at insuring! The cheapest was a 1000CC '05 Caponord, but that was only a margin cheaper.... I'm wondering if this might be the way forwards.

Thing is with getting a bike, it has to work on the cost of insurance, and the fuel as well as practicality.

It's a headache, and I've not even applied for my practical yet!

Photo comps open!

Offline Daveyrach

• Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 11:31:55 pm »
    I have an SV650S I use it to commute 25 miles a day. Only had one prob in 2 years and that was a broken clutch cable.

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to insure. Check out www.SV650.org there is s forum there I am on it same user name.

I can't recommend the SV enough as a first bike.

Get good motorway miles out of it and id very chuckable out in the country roads. Will even keep up with a CBR ridden at pace through the twisties.
    « Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:34:22 pm by Daveyrach »
    - 250L Community -
    Angelfish
    Guppies
    Platys
    Wood Shrimp
    Cardinal Tetras
    Glowlight Tetras
    Albino Bristlenose plec
    Red Tailed Shark
    Rainbow Shark
    Five Banded Barb