• Total Topics: 70244
  • Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 54
Total: 56

Author Topic: Incompatible medicines & test kits  (Read 2799 times)

IanT

Incompatible medicines & test kits
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:35:43 am »
Hi all,

Would just like to pass on some useful information I have picked up the hard way...

I've been using SeaChem Cupramine to treat white spot (only thing my LFS had at the time...).  Unfortunately, the only copper test kit the shop had was one from JBL; I wnated to test the levels, rather than go for the vanilla dosages, so that I could keep levels at maximum and kill the spot off quickly.

After several doses of Cupramine as per bottles instructions, my JBL test kit was still showing zero copper in the water...even though the white spot was disappearing!  I thought that maybe the test chemicals were defective or out-of-date, so I dropped some Cupramine directly in, and hte water turned dark blue immediately.  Confused & concerned, I got onto the interweb....

Several 3-way mail chats with JBL & SeaChem revealed that the JBL test kit searches for a very different type of copper solution than the one contained in Cupramine (quote - "Cupramine from Seachem is copper in a complex with amino acid. It is likely, that the JBL copper test is not able to show the copper in this complex.") and will therefore not detect the chemical in the sort of small doses required for medicinal treatments.

Not sure if this would occur between other manufacturers' test kits & medicines as well, but just thought I'd post this here for general knowledge and to avoid anyone accidentally overdosing their tank because their test kit is not showing any readings.

Cheers!

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    Re: Incompatible medicines & test kits
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:34:22 am »
    This could be important with invertebrates or sensitive fish. I'll sticky in "Health"
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 8
    • -Receive: 288
    « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:43:25 am »
    Seachem are great at customer service! They really seem to take on any technical and scientific questions with aplomb.

As a side note in general for compatibilities, Seachem do have an FAQ for each product, and some compatibility issues are listed there, so for anyone who has a Seachem products, probably worth a read of the FAQ for that product.
    Become a tax dodger. Give up smoking, drinking and driving.

Photo comps open!
    Don't forget to enter and vote!

IanT

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:45:31 am »
    Indeed Plankton - my long-awaited cherry shrimps have been on standby for 3 weeks now, until I can get a solid reading on my Cu levels. 

Lurch; +1.... SeaChem's speed of response & detail was fantastic; JBL's less so, but at least they did make contact and their information was useful.  Overall, a very positive customer experience through a pretty stressful situation, lol.

My one helpful source here has managed to get me a SeaChem test kit now, so I'll get some readings tonight and, hopefully, be able to get water changes done in the next few days in order to clear the copper ready for my shrimps & corys.

There is light at the end of the tunnel... :)