• Total Topics: 70257
  • Online Today: 99
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Author Topic: Zebedee72s new tank  (Read 7885 times)

Offline Zebedee72

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Zebedee72s new tank
« on: January 20, 2013, 11:28:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

I am currently setting up a new tropical tank and would like some cycling, then stocking advise please.

Tank dimensions (LxWXH) / 60x30x30cm / 24x12x12inches / 54litres.
It is a Juwel Korall 60 tropical tank set and I have also bought a Marine 100 air pump and air stone (I like the bubbles effect!).

I have put down a gravel base with a few stones and plastic plants as I want to concentrate with the water conditioning without real plants causing me problems.

I have conditioned the water with tap safe and am now just waiting for my ammonia and test kit to arrive by mail (if the snow lets up! *brrr*) to start cycling.
The water has clouded today after 24 hours of running the system through to check everything is operating ok. I am assuming that this is just a 'bacterial blooming' and will clear in a couple of days.

What is the ideal temperature to start the cycling process - I am thinking in the high 20s?

Once the cycling process has completed, what would people say as some good fish to start with? I have used the aquavisor website to calculate and am thinking of 6/8 neon tetras and a pair guppies.

I will add some photos once the water has cleared as I have enjoyed looking through others tank logs and a picture speaks a thousand words.

Any advise / comments would be appreciated. *cheers*
Juwel Korall 60 - Tank Log:-
https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=37081.0
*uk* Support British Manufacturing

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline BalloonMolly

• Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 20
    Re: Zebedee72s new tank
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:40:07 am »
    ...The water has clouded today after 24 hours of running the system through to check everything is operating ok. I am assuming that this is just a 'bacterial blooming' and will clear in a couple of days.

What is the ideal temperature to start the cycling process - I am thinking in the high 20s?

Once the cycling process has completed, what would people say as some good fish to start with? I have used the aquavisor website to calculate and am thinking of 6/8 neon tetras and a pair guppies.
    [/quote]

After cycling the tank, you can fully stock immediately (unless the fish like a mature* tank, such as Corydoras species). If you are going to get Guppies, beware - they breed madly. Also, you should either get all the same gender or at least 2 females to every male so that the harrassment is spread between them. As for the Neons, I personally prefer Cardinals. They're very similar, but the one of the main differences is the red stripe runs the length of the body in Cardinals.

Also, think about levels - it's nice to have movement in all areas of the tank. :)

*Mature - usually a tank at least 3/4 months old.
    Aquastart 320
    Archie the Plakat Betta

Offline Zebedee72

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:43:36 pm »
    Hi
    Thanks, will have a think - would cherry shrimps be ok or would they prefer a mature tank?
    Test kit and ammonia turned up so have started cycling.
    Initial readings after adding ammonia as per calculator are:
    Nitrates 40ppm
    PH 7.8
    Ammonia 4ppm
     :book:
    Will add photo next.

Offline Zebedee72

• Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:47:08 pm »
    Tank has cleared by the way and even Mrs Z noticed!

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 120
    • I'm not young enough to know everything!
    « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:53:11 pm »
    At this stage of the cycle all you need to test for is ammonia and in a little while nitrite, PH isn't anything to worry about and won't change through the cycle. The nitrate will come nearer the end so thats not a concern at the moment.

Keep dosing the ammonia as per the calculator in the left hand column and then if you post the results someone is sure to watch them and advise if needs be.

Do you know any other fishkeepers nearby? If you do you could ask them for a squeeze of gunk out of their filter sponges to add to your tank. It will make the tank murky for a day but you will be loading it with lots of good bacteria which will shorten the cycle by quite a lot. Usually the murk will clear again by the next day.
    PLANTED DISCUS TANK: http://goo.gl/O2slun

UK's Only breeder of H. zosterae (Dwarf Seahorses)

Offline Zebedee72

• Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:33:40 pm »
    Found out tonight that our kids friends family, 5 doors down, keep tropical fish.
    Will get a squeeze of their filter sponge later this week. Enjoyed doing the 'chemistry' with the kids, so yes probably did more testing than necessary!

Offline Zebedee72

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:20:32 pm »
    Have got a good 'squeeze' of my neighbours filter sponge and added tonight.

Tank temperature is 27deg and ammonia 40ppm.
     :book:

My neighbour recommended Kesgrave Tropicals in Ipswich who mainly trade through eBay, their rating is 99.7%, anyone here dealt with them before? I am only couple of miles away so will be taking a look. Would rather use an independent LFS for buying actual fish than Seapets or [email protected] which are also close buy, after the number of horror stories that I have read about.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kesgrave-Tropicals

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 8
    • -Receive: 288
    « Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:08:45 pm »
    Kesgrave have a good rep.

You say your ammonia is 40ppm? Do you mean 4? 40 is er, high! :)

You mentioned starter fish earlier. Depending on how you mean, I'll assume the best, and guard against the worst interpretation, but do buy fish you intend keeping for life. Check your local pH and hardness, and find fish best suited to it, or ask Kesgrave what can thrive (not just exist) in your water. Also get wider opinion on here.

Looking forward to your progress!
    Become a tax dodger. Give up smoking, drinking and driving.

Photo comps open!
    Don't forget to enter and vote!

Offline Zebedee72

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:37:58 pm »
    Yes, meant 4ppm for ammonia. *oops*

Also, my meaning of 'good fish to start with' refers to fish that are suitable for a beginner (once tank has cycled), not those to start with and then dispose of!

My PH is 7.8 (this is a hard water area) and I assume Kesgraves will be very similar as I only live a short distance away, but I will check with them when I take a look.

Thanks for your advice.

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:49:37 pm »
    Keeping fish is easy, keeping water is where it's at :)

I wasn't assuming that you would buy "disposable" fish, but always worth covering the base, it's happened before!

I don't see any fish as being easier or harder, per se, it's all down to suitability and compatibility. For example, Tiger Barbs are great looking fish, but can be kept as species only as they'll rip apart other fish. One thing to mention about Neons, worth waiting a couple of months before adding them, a mature tank will suit them better. Neons also aren't as sturdy as they used to be, and can die for no reason. They work for some people and not for others.

It's been covered already about livebearers, they breed like mad, so consider male only if you go down this route. Females are often purchased inseminated, and can store sperm for months and drop young at any time. It's not to avoid them, but to consider that fry may get eaten, or fill your tank. You may find Kesgrave will take them off your hands though.

Photo comps open!

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:02:47 am »
    Kesgrave Tropicals.

About 3 months ago I decided I wanted a few Galaxy Rasboras, (known by several other names) after seeing them on their eBay site.

Although they are nearly 3 hours from me I decided I would have a ride down there and see them and pick the fish up.

I was so disappointed, they run the business from what I can only describe as a couple of very large sheds fastened together close to their house. When I went in the premises were dirty, tanks were dirty and covered in algae, there were dead fish in many of the tanks. The only filtration in each tank was a sponge filter which was fed from an airpump also feeding several tanks at a time. I know a sponge filter can be OK but not in a shop where the small tanks do tend to be overcrowded.

Several of the tanks didn't have light on them and when I asked about the Galaxys, because I couldn't find, a man led me to a tank barely half full of water and shone a torch into it to show me the fish!

I really wanted to walk away in disgust but after a 3 hour journey each way I didn't want to go back empty handed so I bought 5 of them plus 2 Khuili Loaches. 2 of them died within a couple of weeks but I still have 3 and the loaches are also OK.

I know they have a good reputation on eBay but you can 'only take as you find' and I assure you I would never buy from them again - I'd go as far as to say I'd rather buy from [email protected]

That was my experience of Kesgrave Tropicals.

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:05:30 am »
    Wow! Just goes to show! Maybe find a different LFS then! I guess no harm in looking, if they haven't sorted it, walk away.

Photo comps open!

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 12:08:48 am »
    Maybe I just caught them on a bad day, who knows, but it was pretty grim.

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:09:47 am »
    For the sake of the fish, I hope so.

Photo comps open!

Offline Zebedee72

• Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:19:00 am »
    Will let you know what I find, when I take a look at the weekend.

I have read in several places that same notion that neons are not as sturdy!