• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

Author Topic: a1oxtb's two footer  (Read 4286 times)

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
a1oxtb's two footer
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:57:30 am »
after getting rid of my juwel 200l without even getting so far as to put any water in it. i've been on the lookout for a smaller set up and managed to pickup a good deal last night.

it was advertised as a 120l on fleabay but on collection it was only 75-80l ! but it still seemed like a good deal so i packed it up and got it set up at home last night.

its a 2foot x 1foot with light-glo lid
nice little stand
tetratec ex700 external filter
maxijet powerhead
a heater
some knackered old plants and a way too huge fake piece of bogwood, tired gravel (including marbles) and some lonely endlers.

after getting it all cleaned up, set up and making a rather larger mess (broken tap on the ex700, bodged up with tape, big puddle, very mad OH! ... new parts now ordered!)  it was time for bed, so no time for pics.

To do list..... (in no particular order)
get some more suction caps for heater and internal pipework
paint background black done
replace dodgy taps on filter clean up spray bar and hide all pipes.
go mildly planted (swords, java and sag) ordered
replace ornament with nice piece of bogwood and slate done
maybe go for sandsubstrate???
gradually stock tank (the brighter the better)
get bored and want something bigger

will be getting a test kit for the water but hoping for no problems as the tank has always been up and running and has just really moved house :-)

pics and probably a lot of questions to follow  *2116*
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:01:40 pm by a1oxtb »

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline taffy72

• Thank You
    • -Given: 174
    • -Receive: 179
    Re: a1oxtb's two footer
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:29:53 pm »
    looking foreward to pics.. *applause*
    On to a new adventure ..
    i'm going salty...
    trop tank 1
    60 ltr tropical .
    ember tetras
    diamond neon tetras ...
    Marine tank 1
    pair of clowns .
    pair of bengal cardinals .
    aiptasia eating file fish .
    purple firefish .
    foxface ..
    Algae blenny .

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:37:18 pm »
    crappy pics as promised....

painted the back black and rearranged the little decor that i have....

but got a little problem with the external filter, not sure how well the pics show it but i have little trickles running from the release handles?    is this just the seal that has gone?

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    Re: a1oxtb's two footer (help needed with filter leak)
    « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:05:32 am »
    had a bit of a nightmare on saturday, the external filter would not stop pissing water, tried a bit of vaseline around the seal and this did nothing to help.  so sat the filter in a bucket and rushed out to the lfs to sort a replacement. picked up a cheapo internal filter and swapped out my media from the external to the internal and also bagged and hid some more of the old media around the tank.

whilst at the lfs i picked up some bogwood and 5 zebra danios and 5 lemon tetras.

also going to order the parts to give the ex700 a refurb and see if i can solve the leak problem.... i have a feeling it is one of the faulty batch from a few years ago but with it being second hand tetratec wont touch it..... i may just opt for an aps external at a later date as they seem good value.
    i have also ordered some more plants to fill out the back and want to improve the lighting.
    i'm really trying not yo rush everything but i have so many ideas and can see me shopping for a larger set up very soon.
    pics of the new additions... let me know what you think of the current layout.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:00:43 pm by a1oxtb »

Offline Munchy2007

• TFF Supporter
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 90
    • -Receive: 245
    « Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:57:16 pm »
    Looks like it's coming along nicely, sorry to hear about the filter nightmare, I hate it when that happens!

A few more plants would enhance it for my taste, but then I love planted tanks so that might be a bit of a biased view :)

Keep us updated with the progress I'm sure it'll look fantastic once you've finished, but I like the layout of the hardscape so far.
    Seabray Tank - picture log goo.gl/LpdhEO

All my advice is based on results I've observed in my own tanks in over 40 years of fish keeping, unless otherwise indicated.

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    a1oxtb's two footer
    « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:46:49 pm »
    Thanks for the comments munchy, plants are  hopefully in the post, my first attempt at live plants so fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:54:37 pm »
    Did a water change tonight and managed to get some plants in and some moss attached to the bogwood, can't have soaked it for long enough last week as the water was a nice tea colour.
    I'm on my iPhone so hopefully pics will work. Had a bit of trouble getting the wisteria in but hopefully will root itself with the help of some slate pieces.
    Comments very welcome...

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:46:32 am »
    small update and of very good news to me, i decided to have a tinker with my external filter and set it up running some tank water from a tub in the bathroom with plenty of waterproof protection...... anyway it ran for a couple of hours with no leaks at all.

i think i just didnt have the lid down property due to some media being stuck between the trays....... anyway, with the permission of the OH i have installed it back in the tank alongside the internal and acording to aquadvisor i'm now running 450% filteration.

on the downside my new plants arnt enjoying their new home, i just dont think i have enough substrate down to keep them rooted well enough. plus some of my moss is turning an orangey brown colour in places. but they have only been in since friday, so am i being impatient?

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 08:54:18 pm »
    Had a bit if a rearrange along with a partial water change to get rid of some tanins.
    The external is now running fine and has been drip free for a week.
    I attached the java fern to a bit of bogwood and trimmed and replanted the wisteria.

Sand substrate to come in the week or so along with tetra complete underneath.

Let me know what you think...
    Before

and after.....

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:53:27 pm by a1oxtb »

Offline Barry g

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 4
    « Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:21:13 pm »
    Looks like you have this tank sorted, wont be long in bushing up. Well done mate nice tank.
    555LTR AQUARIUM
    3X150W MECURY VAPOUR 2X 54W MOONLIGHT 5X7BULB BLUE LED.
    5XF/M SWORDTAIL
    1XM SWORD TAIL
    1XM NEON BLUE DWARF GOURAMI
    2X F/M NEON BLUE DWARF GOURAMI
    5X F/M GUPPYS
    4X STERBAI CORYS
    3XBRONZE CORYS
    3XF/M GBR
    1XM GBR
    1XCOMMON PLEC
    10X NEONS

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:55 pm »
    so shopping list for this weekend....
    tetra complete substrate
    2 x 10kg of tesco playsand
    easycarbo
    more java fern
    more twisted vallis
    amazon sword
    dwarf sag

i'm after some suggetions for some bright coloured fish... the kids and the other half are wanting some colour in there.  i currently have, zebra dans, guppies and lemon tetras, so suggestions to accompany them please  *grin*

how about a pair of rams??

i my self would like some corys and a small plec. but i dont want to be to near to max stocking levels as that will mean i will have to start looking for a larger set up soon *cheers*

Offline tonka

• TFF Supporter
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 7
    « Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 07:10:07 pm »
    Same as my planted tank,see my reflector thread to enhance your light works a treat.

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 09:56:16 am »
    hi Tonka, i ordered some of that tape last week, it arrived yesterday, no pics of where i put it on the lid but it didnt cover as much area as i would have liked so i have ordered a bit more...

no reflector

with reflector

today ordered some easycarbo and tetra complete substrate and will be picking up some playsand over the weekend.
    then i will be ordering some more plants to get the tank filled out a bit more.

still thinking about a couple of rams and some cory/otos......

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 09:45:54 pm »
    So substrate and easycarbo order, 2 bags of 10kg play sand picked up from asda today. Even visited 3 lfs and walked away empty handed. I had my eye on a pair of rams but still walked way.

Hoping to get the sand set up next weekend then will look at the planting and stock

Exciting times, finally looks like my plan is coming together. :-)

Offline a1oxtb

• Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 10:48:45 am »
    yey!!!

ordered both on friday and they arrived with the postman at work 1st thing today!!

now the fun will begin!

although i'm having doubts about my ASDA playsand now after reading about playsand in general getting mixed reviews.

I've rinsed it thoroughly in my containers and going to rinse it further in an old pillow case with boiling water from the shower then i'm going to soak it in the bucket again with some tap safe.

not sure i can wait to the weekend to crack on so might do it thursday?