• Total Topics: 70247
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 37
Total: 39

Author Topic: What pleco's should I stock ?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
  • Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 162
  • -Receive: 6657
  • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
Re: What pleco's should I stock ?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 11:25:12 am »
If anyone is thinking of getting expensive and relatively rare species of plec, I always ask what their water is like.
If it isn't correct for the fish, they will not survive as they will either be wild or bred in the exact wild conditions required to do so.
You'll need a soft, acidic water for most of those plecs you listed so far (except the BN)
Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
Ian

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Fish Whisperer

• Thank You
    • -Given: 8
    • -Receive: 20
    • I'm a pleco kinda guy
    « Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 11:51:35 am »
    Just realised that in your first post it says what tank you have. My bad. Give it a couple of months and you'll want to upgrade. I've had 3 tanks in a year. Your always happy when you get a new tank and then a couple of months later want a bigger one lol

Many thanks
    Adam

I haven't even cycled this tank yet, and I already want like a 5ft-6ft oak tank, with a oak stand, and the middle section of the stand is a wine rack... Think I'm gonna have to start saving up for something like that lol
    I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life, freely.

100l Tank   *snoopy*

Offline Fish Whisperer

• Thank You
    • I'm a pleco kinda guy
    « Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 11:55:05 am »
    What about a whiptail? Awesome fish :-)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

I do like the look of these, only problem is that I am limited to the fish available in my area, their is a new Watermarque that should be open next month, and it looks pretty big, so I am hoping they will offer a much wider selection of fish. Although the current Watermarque do offer a fair size selection of fish, I would never buy anything from that particular store because half the fish are dead, the people that work their don't have a clue, and the roof is leaking like crazy.. overall a bad place!

Are you based in Taunton then? Maidenhead aquatics at black down nurseries near Wellington is the best shop around. They had whiptails when I went in Tuesday, a couple of different ones. I wouldn't touch any watermarque with a barge pole. Awful place.

Yes I am In Taunton mate, Watermarque is shocking, I'm surprised It hasn't been shut down or hired staff that know at least how to keep the fish alive, walking in and seeing half a dozen bettas in pint glasses half full of water, is awful! But Maidenhead is a lot better, not all the staff are very aqua minded unfortunately but they are the best in the area. I just got hold of them and they do still have redwhip plecs instock, £10 each, I am thinking of getting one of these to go with the BN instead, do you know if they will get along together ?
    I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life, freely.

100l Tank   *snoopy*

Offline bwarwicker

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 43
    • -Receive: 249
    « Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 12:12:48 pm »
    I have 2 whiptails and 2 bristlenose plecs together and they get along fine.i find 3 of the guys down MA brilliant, just one lad who ain't got a clue.
    Corydoras and other South American catfish fan!!!

Offline Fish Whisperer

• Thank You
    • I'm a pleco kinda guy
    « Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 12:18:39 pm »
    Well I will get a BN and a RWT, I have have one piece of wood and one sorta cave, although their is plenty or room under the wood, do you think this will be enough for the two ?

Yeah they are good, I have only been in their twice the past 2 weeks, the girl they just hired, although she is really friendly, always smiling and pretty, but she doesn't know much.

I would love to work in their though, I would put up with the heat and sweating in that shop just for the fish haha

100l Tank   *snoopy*

Offline bwarwicker

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 43
    • -Receive: 249
    « Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 12:24:55 pm »
    I wish I knew there was a job, I'm looking for a new one. Haven't spoken to her yet.
    Corydoras and other South American catfish fan!!!