• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Author Topic: Lucyd's 250l APS p4ish+  (Read 43234 times)

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
  • Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 162
  • -Receive: 6657
  • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
Re: Lucyd's 190 upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 06:43:50 pm »
I'd have the tank the other way up - the water will all run straight out.....!!! ;) *grin*
Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
Ian

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    • -Given: 374
    • -Receive: 283
    « Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:16 pm »
    Hahaha point well noted ;) just spent about 2 hours scrubbing and it didn't even look that bad at first glance! Dissected the filter and chucked out 2 bags of carbon, wedged a bit of sponge in instead. Definitely going to run an internal too, have an APS one ready.
    Next job will be a leak and filter test. Can't do that till my other half gets back though as I'm too afraid to lift it on my own!
    The heater was vile looking - whizzed it and ordered a new one with a fish guard. 8)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

250l

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    « Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:39:52 am »
    Decided on having a change and going for a blue background.
    Tested the filter which seemed fine and spat out some old gunk :o
    Not much I can do for the minute, am waiting on plants... Also need an extension lead and I think another bag of sand. I'm transferring all the sand from my other tank and have another small bag, but think I'll probably need 15kg in total for a decent layer -any thoughts?

250l

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 01:03:21 pm »
    I think you ought to completely shut the curtains when you take pics of the tank.....does that help? ;) *grin*
    Looks good, not sure about the amount of sand you'll need, make sure you don't go over 2", and make sure the new sand is washed and in there before you start on the current tank.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    « Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 01:38:27 pm »
    Yes I know, I'll make more effort with the photography once the scaly inhabitants are in :)
    Good point re :sand, put current /in-use sand down as the top layer..

250l

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    « Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 01:47:52 pm »
    Well just had a trip to Barlow's aquatics and picked up more sand.. Planning to start work this afternoon.
    The benefit of going there was actually that also there's a MA about 10 minutes away so my daughter and I got double fish browsing time. I was very strong - only came away with 4 pandas to up them to 10 and a lovely white Mickey mouse platy, a boy to cheer up my 3 ladies ;)
    My new dilemma - had set my sights on a little group of pearl gourami.... But they had a good selection at MA and now I'm stuck again! They had pearls, gold, dwarf blue, dwarf red (stunning), some Indian thick lipped and some red robin ones - the latter were also lovely, think I'll research them further. Also saw some lovely cory (elegant) though they were 2 for 17£ *faint* and some otos,.. They were also pricey.. In fact, MA is flipping expensive, but their stock does look healthy and the tanks are always clean. Decisions decisions!

250l

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 04:16:39 pm »
    Avoid the dwarf red and red robin gourami, they are aggressive hybrids.

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    « Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:06 pm »
    Thanks for the heads up Plankton, I reckon after a lot of pondering I'll probably go back to the pearl.
    So after much graft I have decommissioned small tank and the new one is up and running.
    Not got all the plants in yet as they haven't arrived, I wanted to wait  but was under a bit of pressure to get rid of the other tank :-\
    The APS internal seems to be doing a good job - I put the venturi on and the danio and cherry barbs look like they've died and gone to heaven, diving in and out of the jet stream. The cory are similarly happy! They're actually shoaling a bit now they're in greater numbers.  I initially panicked at the strength of the current, but everyone seems happy and they're all out and about exploring now.

250l

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    « Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:14 pm »
    Still much work to be done, can't wait for the plants to arrive :)
    The background looks very odd, think I might just take it off, though once the plants are in and settled it'll be less of an issue.
    Pandas and Mickey the platy have settled in nicely and it's a hive of activity!

250l

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 10:17:10 am »
    How did you put it on?

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    « Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 10:21:38 am »
    I just taped it at the edges. I'm wondering if  (in spite of all the scrubbing!) there is still residual oil on the back of the tank (or on the background).

250l

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 11:10:34 am »
    If you do that, you need to make sure it's tight against the glass, or you will get the air pockets like that.

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    « Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 11:14:27 am »
    Ahh that is probably it then, only shows when the tank lights are on. Thanks!

250l

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    « Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 02:26:00 pm »
    Finally my plants have arrived!   No thanks to MyHermes who delivered them to the wrong house and didn't bother leaving me a card!  However, they are lovely, healthy looking plants and were really well packaged -just as well, since they had an overnight stay next door!
    I really wanted these plants yesterday, I actually thought they'd got lost.  For now they've been rinsed and are floating on the top pf the tank. I don't want to upset 4 new arrivals by re-arranging the decor at the mo.
    We went to Pier Aquatics in Wigan this morning and for once I came out with less than planned!  Hooray, I'm truly strong, went in a LFS yesterday and came out with nothing too!   I wanted 4 pearl gourami and a betta (for a different tank).  I wasn't struck on any of the 3 betta they had, but the gourami were lovely so I got 3 females and a male.   They've just had an extended period floating in the tank and I've just released them.  I'm already chuffed with them, they're lovely looking, going to buy in some frozen food for them and the others tomorrow.
    Pier aquatics has an amazing selection of cory!   I was bowled over by how many they had in one shop!  But I stayed resolute - no more fish till September payday!  Just the pearls for now.
    I would like to add another decent group of cory to the tank and maybe another group of smaller fish at a later date.  Can't decide on which cory though and which other smaller fish.   That would take me to fully stocked though, if not slightly over perhaps.  Exciting decisions to be made anyway (when I have some money!)
     *fish* *fish* *fish*
    250l

Offline Lucyd

• Thank You
    « Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
    So the tank had a teensy setback and I had to make an emergency transfer to my other 2 (much smaller!) tanks... Found the cause of a leak and hopefully going to get it sorted tomorrow. Once I've dealt with that, I've decided to paint the back. I'm also going to spend longer on arranging the plants and wood this time. Hopefully my fish will soon be back into their new improved (and not leaky) home. :)

250l