• Total Topics: 70243
  • Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34

Author Topic: Oak Leaves  (Read 9131 times)

Offline DoubleDutch

• Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 936
  • -Receive: 924
Re: Oak Leaves
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 04:56:56 pm »
Did you notice this thread is a year old Mel?
I know Rooibos (jungle tea in the UK?) can be used in a tank, but "normal" tea often can contain lot of nasty stuff to my knowledge.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Vale!

• TFF Staff retired & Supporter
    • TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 25
    • -Receive: 522
    « Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 08:25:54 pm »
    To the best of my knowledge, tea contains neither humic nor fulvic acids, so wouldn't afford those particular benefits.

I've just had a cursory Google and it seems that caffeine does have a negative effect on fish (heart rate, stress). So, all in all, tea bags in tanks doesn't seem a good idea.

Offline Eutexian

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 26
    • -Receive: 189
    « Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 08:44:19 pm »
    green tea.. not black tea. and if its to be used for tannic acids - this is pointless as it doesnt contain any.

organic green tea bags have been used as a source of micro nutrients.. for plants. after the tea bag has been used to produce a drink. which apparently releases nearly all the soluble caffeine.

I quote from a blog post on this subject below.

Green tea. If you make peat tea for its softening and other benefits, it's hard to get a full run-down of the chemistry you're introducing to the water. But if you add a cup of green tea instead, the chemistry has been done for you. An article  "The chemistry of tea" give detailed analysis of what a "tincture of Camellia sinensis" has to offer in the aquarium, viz: inorganic salts, headed by potassium (1.76% of dry weight), that include traces of the plant nutrients phosphorus, magnesium, iron, manganese, sulfur and others; nitrogen in soluble protein and amino acids as well as in caffeine (caffeine itself isn't very soluble-- the boiling water releases it; so if you think it might keep the fish up all night, drink the green tea yourself and just put the used teabag in the filter); more nitrogen in tiny amounts of sugars and starch and larger amounts of pectin; some chlorophyll and other pigments, enzymes and vitamins B2 and C (in unfermented green tea). The most important chemical components of tea leaves, a series of flavonoid polyphenols called catechins, based on gallic acid, feature among the currently fashionable "anti-oxidants" that scavenge free radicals. But, surprisingly, among these polyphenols there is no tannic acid in tea.
    Tell me Im right and I'll thank you.

Tell me I'm wrong and demonstrate why? and I'll REALLY thank you.

Offline tankvirgin

• Thank You
    • -Given: 38
    • -Receive: 9
    • Newbie to the world of fishkeeping
    « Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 11:11:17 pm »
    Vale, you are fantasticallt thorough with everything you do. In summary, You are a wizard Harry!  *cheers*