• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Author Topic: Starting from scratch  (Read 1393 times)

popz

Starting from scratch
« on: February 06, 2008, 06:28:42 pm »
I have been asked to help advise on a large new marine coldwater tank to stock locally caught fish,crustaceans, starfish etc. I started a thread on this some while ago and it has been suggested I start a log - so here goes.

This tank to go in a new visitor centre as a window display. I have managed to persuade the powers that be that their original concept was very unpratical thanks to this forum - 10ftlong, 1ft wide and 6'high. I think they have now agreed to 10ft long 3ft wide 4ft high. So things are strating to roll now. I am getting quotes for building tank in either acrylic or glass.

Next items will be water pumps, filters, lighting etc.

So any input from you would be more than welcome? I have attached a piccie of the site for the tank. Obviously a place for an 'aquarium of the month' ????? with your help.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

bowza

Starting from scratch
    « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:25:30 pm »
    You got any more details on the space below and to the sides to situate a large , sump or, pond canister system??

Sounds a fun project

Bowza

popz

Starting from scratch
    « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:27:31 pm »
    Hey Bowza. Yes I reckon there will be about 2ft clearance under tank - but that could change! There is room at the sides but has to be kept to a premium as it intrudes into merchandising space.

Not sure what a pond cannister is?

Offline fishgeek

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    Starting from scratch
    « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:30:14 pm »
    will one side of this tank be external?

have you thought about heat loss there?
    andrew

popz

Starting from scratch
    « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:36:57 pm »
    Andrew, all sideswill be external as there must be a gap between window and tank for cleaning, Thought main problem would be keeping water down to sea temp in summer - max 18C.