• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Author Topic: My Aquarium  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 74
My Aquarium
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:15:17 pm »
i'll start you off from scratch. after catching the bug of fish keeping after a failed attempt at keeping a secret Santa fish alive (poor quality of fish(no offense but from P@H), too small a tank, larger one wasn't set up in time, not cycled as i didnt know i was getting a fish) anyway all efforts were in vain.
however this was enough to get me to catch the fish keeping bug again. so i was cleaning out old supplies which were halfway set up for the goldfish to go into until i bought a big enough tank for him to grow into. i now have my elite cool 21l tank set up with an air stone, a moss ball, a zebra nanite snail, 3 plastic plants and my 3 zebra danio's (two girls and a boy) on is suffering with a mild case of dropsy. however i was able to find out what was causing it (liver damage from prolonged exposure to aquarium salt. poor advice from pets at home again). Shes lasted at least a month or two in her condition so im hoping all going well and fishy permitting she could recover.

so yhea thats it for now. guess i'll keep you posted

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline looking-glass

• Thank You
    • -Given: 34
    • -Receive: 72
    Re: My Aquarium
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:22:11 pm »
    good to hear your back on the right track - maybe search for a better LFS that can give you some better advice :)
    looking at your tank is far better than looking at your tv

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:50:15 pm »
    what does LFS mean ?? ive heard it thrown around alot but i dont know what it is :S

Offline lurch1000

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 8
    • -Receive: 288
    « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 11:56:59 pm »
    Local Fish Shop. Or Lying F-ing Scum depending on which one :)
    Become a tax dodger. Give up smoking, drinking and driving.

Photo comps open!
    Don't forget to enter and vote!

Offline looking-glass

• Thank You
    • -Given: 34
    • -Receive: 72
    « Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:00:29 am »
    ha ha hopefully you will find a help full one :)
    looking at your tank is far better than looking at your tv

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 12:20:38 am »
    i use pets at home for equipment as well as another shop. ive had too many fish die from pets at home for my liking, theres only one person ill go into and talk to because she genuinely knows what she's on about and has fish of her own that she puts into practice with what she preaches (ive looked into her advice and repeated it and it all comes back as sounding good). but as for fishes ive found a guy who knows what hes doing, i can have a good long chat with, not hugely over crowded tanks, all healthy and clean looking tanks (not too clean either) hes very helpful and wants whats best for his fish (as well as the ones he gives out), cheap, refuses to sell recently stocked fish. ideal just another fish nut with a shop really :)

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:47 pm »
    another update. popped into this lfs near me and was recommended to look at the Aquaflow 50 which he uses in all of his tanks so ive gone and put that in with my current tank and ill leave it in for a few days and hopefully have some bacteria jump over onto that one. not quite as quiet as my stingray but more surface movement and hopefully itll do a better job than the stingray at cleaning the water. so wait and see how that does. loving the fact that i can change the waterflow as well as it all coming out of a long spouty thing with holes in for it to shoot out of (couldnt think what it was called.

Offline fr499y

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 214
    « Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 04:04:20 pm »
    all coming out of a long spouty thing with holes in for it to shoot out of (couldnt think what it was called. )

Spray bar :)

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 04:06:22 pm »
    haha a spray bay fair enough, always thought tanks that had these looked pretty cool and while its not quiet if it really bothers me i could just turn it down or submerge it. ive got an air stone in there as is so think the tank has more than enough oxygen as is :)

Offline fr499y

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 214
    « Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 04:08:54 pm »
    put it under the water, but point the spray bar so the flow goes up slightly, you want the surface movement :)

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 04:27:27 pm »
    an even better alternative thanks shall wait and see tonight because i think the bubbling of water helps me sleep (im a terrible sleeper) but if it gets too much i'll try doing that :)

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 01:03:30 pm »
    ive lowered the tank temperature to 22 C this has made the fish less active but they're still happy for the odd game of tag every now and then just not as frequently. ive not fed them all for two days and started my egg bound danio on Epsom salt bath (in a separate container) she didn't look any different after this half hour but hopefully improvement will come in a few days (or however long i get told to do the treatment for). so tomorrow my egg bound girls due another salt bath tomorrow hopefully and ill give them a feed that day as well. looking into getting another plant. ill give it a week or two in thought though before i rush off and get one :)

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 11:46:13 pm »
    another update. did a large water change as im away for the next couple of days. debating having someone come in to check on the little guys or not. hoping that they'll fair well without any need for intervention and hopefully my egg bound fish (it wasn't dropsy as voted by two members on here) will manage that long without her every other day salt baths and 5l water changes because of these baths. think i'll pop a few peas in there before i go. they wont be left the danios goes mad for them so shouldn't change the water levels too much :)

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3272
    • -Receive: 2356
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 11:52:37 pm »
    They'll be fine. Your plan sounds good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9 tropical tanks, 1 marine

Bred:
    Cichlids: Dicrossus filamentosus; Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Moanda'; Biotodoma cupido
    Catfish: Ancistrus 'Rio Paraguay'; Panaqolus sp. L397; Pseudolithoxus dumus; Farlowella vittata; Corydoras melini, burgessi, oiapoquensis
    Loaches: Pangio myersi
    Tetras: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae; Copella meinkeni

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 01:49:28 pm »
    I'm sure it'll be ok :) Have a good couple of days.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian