• Total Topics: 70244
  • Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32

Author Topic: newbie to a newbie cycling your tank  (Read 11709 times)

Offline dazzadub

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 18
  • I love to talk.
newbie to a newbie cycling your tank
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:20:24 am »
Right guys and girls here is a little info from a newbie about my exlerince based on adviceby my local pet store

I told them the type of fish I wanted to keep and they advised on size, bought the tank etc took home and went from there, they advised after a week or so I could add the fish which I did 3 mollies into a 22ltr tank

It wasn't till I started on forums and talking to people did I realise my tank was way to small and not suitibke.

Also my pump packed up which was a intergrated unit so went to store who said they didn't have any to replace, so I kicked up a fuss and they gave me a brand new 40 ltr set up free.

But I had to add the fish and water from 22 ltr into the 40 and basically have to do a fish in cycle which basically means fish while cycling the tank with high ammonia and nitrite levels.

This is where my hirro story began, and all should take not

Nit only did I have to try and keep the fish alive but also had to keep toxic levels down, so the spending started, changed water conditioner to prime, API detox bag, awaurium salt to help gills, stability which stabilizes the toxic levels and so on.

After a week of using the products and 50% eater changes every other day and some 20% changes on the other days, which yes is a hassle and is expensive to do.

4 weeks in my tank still hasn't cycled so had to carry on, but went and bought some prime media from my local fish shop, which rapidly brought ammonia from 8ppm to 0.25pp in just 3 days and the nitrite levels where falling rapidly.

Oh and yes all the fish are still swimming around but what a hassle, 4 weeks of fish swimming around in toxic water and daily water changes to reduce the levels and they are alive but nit recommended.

My advice as a newbie would be go with the fish less cycle and run that for about a month adding ammonia daily to build the system up until the levels are zero don't add fish.

I learnt the hard way thanks to the lps and worked out costly for me.

After about 6 weeks with all the methods done as above my tank is basically cycled and ammonia and nit rites on zero and nitrates 20ppm.

Please dint do this, not only does it cost a fourtune in water, and eater treatments it also is killing the fish

Fish less is the way to go
125 ltr

3 Molly's
6 Harliquens
6 cardinals
2 blue dwarfs

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3272
    • -Receive: 2356
    • Paul M-B
    Re: newbie to a newbie cycling your tank
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 08:49:07 am »
    Sorry you had to learn the hard way. Thanks for sharing your experiences and hopefully it will help to persuade others to go the fishless cycle route :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9 tropical tanks, 1 marine

Bred:
    Cichlids: Dicrossus filamentosus; Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Moanda'; Biotodoma cupido
    Catfish: Ancistrus 'Rio Paraguay'; Panaqolus sp. L397; Pseudolithoxus dumus; Farlowella vittata; Corydoras melini, burgessi, oiapoquensis
    Loaches: Pangio myersi
    Tetras: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae; Copella meinkeni

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:04:02 am »
    I think I'll sticky this, thanks for sharing your story.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline jobday

• Thank You
    • -Given: 13
    • -Receive: 3
    « Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 05:00:11 pm »
    Hi thanks for the info.
    I just cycled my tropical 65l with fish in using "Stability" and following the bottle directions. Also used a secondary filter with a foam from 40l goldfish tank. Added fish (only 3 Harlequins) after 7 days and all levels have been great. However after 5 weeks I've just lost 4 male guppies and a harlequin to ich! No have to figure out how to get rid of that!
    A 25L bucket full of water is a lot heavier than it looks.

Offline dazzadub

• Thank You
    • I love to talk.
    « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:51:30 am »
    I'm nee so maybe wrong but I added a small amount of aquarium salt to the tank which helps gill function and also helps fight illness, also from reading rasing water temp can help

Thanks for the sticky plankton, I thought a post to newbies from a newbie in how difficult set ups can be if poorly advised  and how stressful it can be, hopefully others take not come in to the page.

Since my learning curve with my now 40ltr tank I've now started a 125 ltr set up, which I'mdoing the correct way, and using mature media from my other tank to help kick start the tank.
    125 ltr

3 Molly's
    6 Harliquens
    6 cardinals
    2 blue dwarfs

Offline Reyno87

• Thank You
    • -Given: 82
    • -Receive: 8
    • Everyone's got a guilty pleasure....
    « Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:42:38 pm »
    Get guys, I've just purchased a fluval roma 125 with an external 305 filter. Any tips???? Also how long should I leave tank before adding fish   
    Whatever he hits, he destroys.

Msefton07

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 09:20:42 pm »
    Hi I'm new to using forums. I am wanting advise on what fish would be best for my newly set up tank. My local pet shop don't really have that much lnowledge on keeping tropical fish. My tank is around 150 litres. It has a good filtration system with a lot of decor and a plants(mostly fake plants for colour) it has been established for around 8 weeks now. Currently I have a pair of mollies a pair of platys a couple of small plecs a zebra loach and 2 small catfish not sure what type. I an wondering what's the most colourful vibrate fish I can add without causing stress and upset to others . Please help???

Offline Reyno87

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »
    Hi I'm new to using forums. I am wanting advise on what fish would be best for my newly set up tank. My local pet shop don't really have that much lnowledge on keeping tropical fish. My tank is around 150 litres. It has a good filtration system with a lot of decor and a plants(mostly fake plants for colour) it has been established for around 8 weeks now. Currently I have a pair of mollies a pair of platys a couple of small plecs a zebra loach and 2 small catfish not sure what type. I an wondering what's the most colourful vibrate fish I can add without causing stress and upset to others . Please help???

What about guppies???? I like guppies

Offline Zac460

• Thank You
    • -Given: 883
    • -Receive: 313
    « Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38:00 am »

What about guppies???? I like guppies

The guppys will interbreed with the mollies - not recommended

Offline Reyno87

• Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:02:36 pm »
    Really? Wow. Best not to put guppies in then lol.

Offline Zac460

• Thank You
    • -Given: 883
    • -Receive: 313
    « Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 09:33:09 pm »
    Unless you get all male of both thats is

Offline dazzadub

• Thank You
    • I love to talk.
    « Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 08:01:09 am »
    So my new 125 ltr tank has been running for over a month now fault free ( touch wood )

All my orginal fish are doing great.

I did seed the new tank from my orgibak tank and moved fish over, did daily water changes till bacteria built up and stabilized. It took a week or so to stablize, but did have blip in middle as my electricians left my elec off for 7 hrs each day over 3 days and I hadn't been informed.

But few days later back in track, I'm now fully stocked with a bit of space just in case.

Water is prestine.

Fish are happy.

Next adventure is to get planting, and making tank very pleasing to look at
    125 ltr

3 Molly's
    6 Harliquens
    6 cardinals
    2 blue dwarfs

kess

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »
    Hiya ive just bought a 60 x 20 x 24 inch tank and I would like some advice on how to carry out a successful set up as ive only had a 40 x 20 x 16 tank before, im also attempting to make a 3d background for the new tank so any advice would be welcomed

Offline dazzadub

• Thank You
    • I love to talk.
    « Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 04:10:17 pm »
    Beat way is to head to the general discussion section of forum, more people will see and comment, a new thread would be best
    125 ltr

3 Molly's
    6 Harliquens
    6 cardinals
    2 blue dwarfs

Daily Fish Tank

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 10:17:41 am »
    Its a shame you had to go through this, but if people can learn from your experience then its a good thing.
    IMHO the only way to cycle a tank is the Fish-less way.  Its just cruel to the fish to use them to cycle a tank, even hardy fish like  Zebra Danios will still suffer.

Anyway good post, thanks for sharing what must have been a stressful experience.