• Total Topics: 70244
  • Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 43
Total: 43

Author Topic: newbie to a newbie cycling your tank  (Read 11710 times)

targetpractice2

Re: newbie to a newbie cycling your tank
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 11:58:22 am »
I'm in the process of fish in Cycling my tank, (not by choice but by necessity).. So I basically inherited 4 fantastic little guppies and wanted to upgrade the fish bowl to a larger tank.  I bought 80litre tank from Gumtree which also included a good few fish but unfortunately the tank itself was in such a state that you could not see the fish in the water (one of the mollies she was basically on her back by the time I got her home).   Anyway I thoroughly cleaned the tank and have added substrate, plants and hiding places etc for the fish. 
 whilst I do understand the  Cycle process and that it is very important I was obviously left with little choice in terms of no.s of fish and I didn't want to let them die in that dirty water.  So I sped up the cycle a little with Fluval Cycle and added water conditioner.  My reasoning for this was given the no. of fish there was a great risk of ammonia poisoning due to the no. of fish in the tank before the cycle process could get hold so wanted to encourage the good bacteria quickly (I am also using the old filter that I was given with tank, just rinsed out as it was rancid and full of algae).   I feed only once a day to keep food waste down, added shrimp and plants and do daily water changes of 10%.    Its been up and running for two weeks now and I test the water every other day for Nitrates /Nitrites.. My Nitrites are .05 so I am hoping this is the beginning of the final stages of the cycle. PH is 7.5 (I also have very hard water)..   Is there anything else I should be doing ?   

As for the dying fish I put her into a small holding tank with clean water for a few hours then reintroduced her once it looked like she was recovering...  believe it or not she is now the bully of the tank and chasing every bit of food she can find!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:11:45 pm by targetpractice2 »

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 11:42:31 am »
    The filter probably had a colony of "munchers" so it looks like you've been lucky. :)
    Keep your eye on the parameters and do water changes either weekly (normal) or as required (if you see ammonia and/or nitrite).
    How long is the 80l? I ask as some mollies have the potential to get to 8" (5" is the smallest), so you need to be aware if there are any sailfin genes in the current fish.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Daaron66

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 11:12:33 pm »
    Hi all totally new to the hobby just starting out,I've just set up my first tank witch I'm running a fishless cycle on at the moment,I was wondering is now a good time to plant my tank or wait till the tank has completed the cycle?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 11:34:04 pm »
    Hi Daaron
    You can plant while cycling, but its probably better doing it nearer the end of your cycle, so you only have one thing to worry about at the time.
    Also might be worth starting your own thread ;) help get your questions answered without getting lost or derailing someone else thread :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Daaron66

• Thank You
    « Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 11:22:03 am »
    hi thanks for your reply,totally new to this so will start my own thread next time.

Offline Emz1982

• Thank You
    « Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 05:35:05 pm »
    Hi guys I bought a second hand 100l  fishtank. Ran it for a week with no fish but didn't add any food or anything to cycle. Then put 8 fish in ( was given crappy advice in pet shop). They've been in now for 10 days. Got water test kit few days ago ammonia was 2ppm. With advice from you guys I have been doing daily water changes using seachem prime, feeding every other day and t testing water daily. I'm now down to 0.50ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite,0 nitrate, pH is 7.4. my question is, do you think that because tank is second hand that it was already cycled, or because the tank and filter media was dry as may have been out of use for a while, that it is same as a new tank? I've had no big spike in ammonia and as the other levels are zero if it is cycling it must still be in stage 1? Any tips on how to cycle faster? I have 2 live plants and 3 small smooth rocks which came with the tank could it b any of these causing high ammonia? Tia

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 10:18:45 am »
    If there is any ammonia it's still cycling, so still daily changes.
    You may be lucky with the nitrite munchers, they are a bit more resilient than the ammonia munchers.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Emz1982

• Thank You
    « Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 10:32:49 am »
    Thanks plankton I'll carry on with the daily water changes. Do you think it would be worth getting a bottle of the good bacteria to help the cycle along?

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 11:12:24 am »
    If you have fish, it won't do any harm. :)

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Emz1982

• Thank You
    « Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 11:24:28 am »
    Thank you. I'll get the seachem one cos I've read that if I don't then the prime I use will cancel it out ☺

Offline Emz1982

• Thank You
    « Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 05:37:09 pm »
    Another question please. I tested water Yesterday ammonia was 0.50. done 50% water change was still testing at 0.50. done another 50% today and again it's still testing 0.50. might the seachem prime I use give a false result? Don't see how I can get same result after doing such a big water change each time. My albino black widow tetras have tiny black marks on fins and I'm worried this is ammonia burn but surely the prime is meant to  stop the ammonia causing harm. I know it only works for upto 48 hours but I'm using it every day. No fish have any other signs of being affected by the ammonia but am very worried, is there anything else i can do to try decrease ammonia? I have ordered seachem stability to add abit more friendly bacteria should arrive Wednesday, hope that might speed a the cycle up abit.Thanks

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:45 am »
    Yes, the Prime does change the ammonia to ammonium (which is safe), but that will still register on the ammonia test.

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Emz1982

• Thank You
    « Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 10:10:08 am »
    Thanks plankton. So shall I just keep on with the daily water changes until the complete cycle has finished?

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 10:28:33 am »
    Yes, as soon as ammonia and nitrite are both zero, you know it's cycled and you can move to weekly changes. :)

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Emz1982

• Thank You
    « Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 10:38:37 am »
    Thanks so much I really appreciate your advice