• Total Topics: 70258
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Author Topic: Tank Log  (Read 16895 times)

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 74
Tank Log
« on: May 02, 2014, 06:20:42 pm »
so that's it new tank new log. many pre-owned (for 3 weeks) love fish panorama 40l tank has arrived. opened it up got a tiny scratch on front and one on the lid but i'm not really bothered it looks a good size. the tank says it measures at 53cm x 41cm x 31cm but annoyingly it doesn't. everything about 3 cms off but still so excited new tank yay !!

so my plan for what goes in it fish wise is

zebra danios
a single dwarf gourmi
a couple of panda corys
and of course my zebra nerite snail

i'm hoping to fill it up with a lot of scary stuff to me. i've seen a nice piece of bog wood which i'm going to take a second look at tomorrow after work and see if i still like it. it looks quite good, couple of places where plants could go and couple of different ways i could lay the one i've seen. i'm also hoping on setting up some java fern, i want to put some on a rock and from then on get trimmings to attach to the bog wood. the java fern i want to put on a rock and hopefully that'll look nice. mentioning the rock im hoping to buy a bag of big rounded rocks in a really contrasting colour from the substrate and put that in a little pile where fish can swim around, corys can suck on it all that. i'm also planning on getting some water lettuce which lfs can sell me cheap so the gourmi will have some cover and so will the danios but they're too busy zooming about to be skittish haha.

now there's one thing i've left out which is substrate. now i may in the future want to plant properly some other easy to care for plants to make the tank seem less empty so i'm still debating putting something underneath which will be full of nutritions but ill get to that bridge when i get there. i don't know what colour of sand to go for. i can get black and grey but think is ive got a light room and i wouldnt know what colour of background to get if to get any at all (dont really like them) theres two other lfs's ive got to look in and see what substrate they could offer me.

so yhea thats all my plans (and ive only just opened the box  *yahoo*) so yhea my plans for this week.
clean out the new tank from the old owner
decide and buy a substrate
buy and soak some wood
buy said rocks mentioned previously

i think in terms of plants ill wait for the tank to get established and once i've added my first lot of fish (new fish not ones i currently have just 3 so no worries of overloading). i need to get a pair of tights for old substrate as well as see how much movement my filter causes and if i need to put an air stone in the opposite end of the tank.
so yhea :D *yahoo* *yahoo* *yahoo* *yahoo* *yahoo* *yahoo*

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline jjb

• Thank You
    • -Given: 15
    • -Receive: 87
    Re: Tank Log
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:25:17 pm »
    Cory need groups of 6+ so 2 won't work and I'm not sure if you could fit 6 in

Other than that though it all sounds good :)

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3272
    • -Receive: 2356
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:36:34 pm »
    I'm sure you could up the Cories to 4 or 5 at least. I've got 6 melini in my 40L and a few tetras with no problem.

9 tropical tanks, 1 marine

Bred:
    Cichlids: Dicrossus filamentosus; Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Moanda'; Biotodoma cupido
    Catfish: Ancistrus 'Rio Paraguay'; Panaqolus sp. L397; Pseudolithoxus dumus; Farlowella vittata; Corydoras melini, burgessi, oiapoquensis
    Loaches: Pangio myersi
    Tetras: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae; Copella meinkeni

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:05:42 pm »
    well i went in to talk to him about my plan and he said "you know when you mentioned you were getting a 40 or bigger tank i thought that's ideal since you were on about getting corries" and he said i would be able to fit a few pandas in which he's keeping an eye out for me. he's going to get some he could have gotten some long fin but hes like me and doesn't like most long finned fish (all i can think is how much specific breeding was done and how much immunity to diseases is a fish like that going to have) now that ive gone in and said about pandas hes going to try and get a hold of javas and the panda cories for me which he agreed with me 4 or 5 ish as well might go in and see if i can get the cream of the crop and ask him to save them (hes been struggling to find them so by the time he does i shouldn't be too far off of having the tank ready for more)

how many you guys think i could put in a tank at a time two or three fish per every week at fastest ??

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:20:02 pm »

Lid open (led lights and looking down on tank)

Front of tank. Also how do I go about removing the warning sticker with no scratches or marks from the glue ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zac460

• Thank You
    • -Given: 883
    • -Receive: 313
    « Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:23:44 pm »
    Warm water and elbow grease *grin*

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:27:03 pm »
    Well doing that to disinfect it properly so can try and get it to go then hopefully

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3272
    • -Receive: 2356
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 08:22:03 am »
    IPA (isopropyl alcohol) is good for removing stickers. Do it before you put water or fish in, and clean it off well. But it's not harmful in low concentrations unlike many other products.

9 tropical tanks, 1 marine

Bred:
    Cichlids: Dicrossus filamentosus; Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Moanda'; Biotodoma cupido
    Catfish: Ancistrus 'Rio Paraguay'; Panaqolus sp. L397; Pseudolithoxus dumus; Farlowella vittata; Corydoras melini, burgessi, oiapoquensis
    Loaches: Pangio myersi
    Tetras: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae; Copella meinkeni

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 12:57:57 pm »
    It's on the outside of the tank so there's no worries of poisoning fish just need to make sure none gets in

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 05:20:09 pm »

Went in today to have another look during lunch break it was still there I thought great I'll have it. Went after work and it was gone so I got choice number two.

Decided to go for white rocks one of them can prop up the wood

Decided I'll go with normal yellow/white sand. Checked other pet supplies shop they don't had that colour. Or sand just gravel. Pets at home only have black or grey so I'll check at lfs tomorrow and hopefully they have it. Don't know what I'd search through on eBay for it that's my only problem.

Starting to think I can't hold out a week for this tank was thinking on the way home... Do the danios really need a substrate... Could always clean it out and do it today minus bogwood. No I shall practice patience and try to get everything as near to finished as possible. Including substrate, sand, wood and plants (if they're in)

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 05:21:03 pm »
    cleaned out the new tank, boiled the kettle twice and washed down all of the glass on the inside. then took the tank outside and filled it to the top and emptied it out, just got a small bit of water in it at the moment to make sure that it was just a bit of water that got spilt on the towel that made the bottom of the tank wet and not a leak all looking good so far.

i've washed off the rocks and they're ready, ive started soaking the wood. think there may be some sap still which is worrying but im glad im soaking it. loads of colour has leeches off into the warm water so i should get rid of it all eventually :)

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 04:53:16 pm »
    i'm at the stage now where my patience is running out, really want to move into this new tank. i'm struggling to get a hold of any sand though that's the only thing stopping me don't know if i should:
    1) pinch myself and hold off till i get the sand and do it all in one properly
    2) move the old stuff over today and when i do get a hold of some sand (which i'm thinking at this rate i'll have to order so that'll be a week at most which means its too close on holiday for me to risk leaving them so itll be a couple of weeks) just take the water down really low, move fish and ornaments out to put the sand in. 
    if i moved it over today i wouldn't have to worry about my friend looking after them for a week (when im on holiday again) and i wouldn't worry about the size they're getting about 3/3.5 cm and they get more room so swim about in happy times
    however if i did it all in one it means they're in their for a couple more weeks a month nearly but its less stress in the long run
    hmmm decisions decisions what do you guys think :S

Offline leeanne

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 100
    • -Receive: 818
    • I need a bigger tank!
    « Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 05:07:53 pm »
    What filter are you going to be using a new one? Or one from other tank? You can order sand online next day del have a look on swell uk

Roma 240:  Angels tank
    6ft: Discus, Red head Geos, Phantom plecs
    200l work tank:  Keyhole Cichlid, dwarf rainbows, loads of cory and a BN

Offline Zebra Fish

• Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 05:21:44 pm »
    want to see if the last local lfs does it going to nip in tomorrow (hes shut for today unfortunatly) think he said he did.

i can use the same filter it says it does up to 50l's and mines only 40, as it gets more filled up i may start thinking about getting something a bit more powerful but i'll be getting plants so don't know if they and the cories ill be getting will help it out 

just got some spare time now and i just though, that air pump doesn't sound too good and then i thought while im taking the air pump may as well clear up any poo that may be hanging around and one thought lead to another

Offline leeanne

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 100
    • -Receive: 818
    • I need a bigger tank!
    « Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 06:25:16 pm »
    If you transfer everything over & not add anymore fish should be ok to do that but it is easier to change tank layout without fish & add sand!

If you were to add a new filter you could just transfer old media over

Roma 240:  Angels tank
    6ft: Discus, Red head Geos, Phantom plecs
    200l work tank:  Keyhole Cichlid, dwarf rainbows, loads of cory and a BN