• Total Topics: 70268
  • Online Today: 49
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28

Author Topic: LFS sold me 'cool blue' marine light for a tropical aquarium...is this ok?  (Read 9657 times)

darwin88

I'm aiming for a fairly well planted aquarium but I don't want a very intense light that will stress my fish. My lfs sold me a 30w 'cool blue' marine light. The first thing I can see is it's very... blue. It reminds me of an Ibiza dance floor. I can live with that but..... is it going to supply my plants with the optimum spectrum for healthy growth? And how do tropical fish that hail from dark forest rivers cope with a 12 hour-a-day dose of UV light?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers :)

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline demented pea

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 1
    • mostly harmless
    Re: LFS sold me 'cool blue' marine light for a tropical aquarium...is this ok?
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 06:17:31 am »
    I would think plants need a wider spectrum of light to grow properly?  Just the blue seems a bit limited...
    I change out any blue lights that come with my tanks as I find really annoying.  My 60l fish box had one blue bulb and it made my eyes hurt!

I am sorry I don't really know but I am sure Vale! or someone with more experience will know.
    less fish than I used to have

Offline sethyr

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 0
    LFS sold me 'cool blue' marine light for a tropical aquarium...is this ok?
    « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:07:59 am »
    When I bought my new tank the Lfs suggested I changed the back back if the 2 to a blue marine bulb, as this would benefit the plants more than the normal bulbs.

Because i was new to all this I bought it but after a while I changed back to the standard bulb as i didn't like the blue hue it gave everything!

I did however read up on it and it does seem that lots I people do use the blue bulbs in tropical tanks, apparently the blue end of the spectrum penetrates the water further than any other colour! Or something like that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Juwel Vision 180  - External Ehiem 2224

6 Endler Guppies
    5 Five Banded Barb
    4 Yellow Honey Gourami
    4 Harlequin Rasbora
    4 Rummy Nose Tetra
    3 Glow Light Tetra
    2 Dwarf Neon Rainbow
    2 Rosy Tetra
    1 Cardinal Tetra
    1 Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid

Offline Coin

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:49 am »
    Blue does penetrate deeper, which is why the deeper you go the more liklely you are to see red fish, little red light makes them invisible.
    Plants contain normally two types of clorophyl, one which prefers blue light and one that prefers red light, the blue type being more prevelant. Plants will still survive without their favourite light but will obviously do better with it. This is why plant friendly bulbs tend to give off a pinky/purply hue.
    In most tanks bulb hue is a matter of personal preference than neccessity (sp?)
    270l with Eheim2224
    2*150W heaters (Eheim Jaeger)
    640 0.08W White/Blue/Red LEDs :)
    Nightlight LEDs

Tetras,Mollies
    Shrimp - Amano, Bamboo, Red Claw
    Red Tailed Shark
    HatchetFish
    Pearl Gourami
    Angels
    Sailfin Molly
    and a Plec

darwin88

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 02:02:46 pm »
    Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with it and see how the plants get on. The fish seem pretty happy with the blue colour though.  :P