• Total Topics: 70268
  • Online Today: 71
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 53
Total: 54

Author Topic: Nehpets Asian Tank - 90L to 200l change  (Read 7151 times)

Offline nehpets81

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 16
Nehpets Asian Tank - 90L to 200l change
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:24:38 pm »
So, after getting some advice on this forum I thought I would give something back and describe how my tanks are coming along with some tank logs.

As of Friday, my two tanks consisted of:

125L - 4 x Sterbai Cory, 2 x Cardinal Tetra, 6 x Amano Shrimp
90L - About 12 guppies of varying ages and size.

Although I had been keeping fish for three years, as you can see I had fell out of love with fishkeeping and not really spent much time on my tanks.  They weren't always in such a sorry state.   Although the smaller tank was always a Guppy tank, the current stocking were all at least second generation with the original stock from the LFS being very sickly.  The larger tank saw 3 Corys succumb to some sort fading and wasting away which was very sad as I love those guys; 5 cherry shrimp bit the dust during last summer's heatwave when I really struggled with bottled ice and drawn curtains to keep the tank under about 30 degrees.  The last one disappeared during a recent holiday;  4 cardinal tetras dies shortly after being added to the tank; and a total of six threadfin rainbow fish died within a few months (most of which had spent at least some time outside the tank at some stage as they constantly jumped out during water changes).  So, for the past few months I had been pretty demoralised with only the Amano shrimps never suffering any casualties.

I should probably point out that my tap water is not that conusive to keeping most of these fish with a hardness of 257ppm and Nitrate levels of 27ppm.

This last week, though something has rekindled my interest and I decided to overhaul both of my tanks.  I am starting with the smaller one and am not sure whether to document the larger one in the same thread or start a new one?

Anyway, I took a trip to my local Maidenhead and purchased a 25L vat of R/O water (halfway home I was a bot concerned about my commitment to this course as it is a real struggle getting it home on a London bus!  Unyhow, I made it but am not looking forward to my next trip, perhaps I'll get a cab?).  I also got some JBL plant substrate and a bag of Argos playsand.

The next step was to sell my Guppies.  I had mixed emotions about this, on the one hand the Guppies were the only fish to actively approach me when I moved towards the tank (no doubt expecting food each time) but I feel I had "done" them and they didn't fit with my plans.

The following morning I removed the gravel, did a bit of a scrub to try and remove as much algae as possible, cut back the rampant hornwort, removed all the water and put in the JBL soil stuff, followed by a layer of sand.  The tank was then filled up with 50% R/O and 50% dechlorinated tap water  and was then ready to go.  Another trip to Maidenhead and I came home with two types of Crypts, some Vallis, Java Fern, Limnophila and some Hygrophila.  It is not by mistake that with the possible exception of the Vallis, all those plants were Asian.  I also came home with five little Kuhli loaches!  I moved the bogwood from the larger tank (along with some random Java Moss that seems to have sprouted from nowhere), planted all the plants, added the big Indian Almond leaf (I have never spent a tenner on leaves before!) and introduced the loaches.  It is now day two and the Kuhlis don’t like the light – always hiding when it was on but I fed them this evening and at least three are feeding so I am pleased about that – hopefully the other two will come out when I am not there.
Oh, and I almost forgot.  Just before I fed the kuhlis I saw something in the water – it was a Guppy fry!  Where on earth had that come from??  I completely drained the tank and removed all the old gravel substrate!  My current hypothesis is that it somehow clung to the Hornwort when I removed it – either that or it somehow has been living in the filter.  Anyhow, I now have 5 Kuhli loaches and 1 Guppy fry in that tank.  I intend to eventually add a Betta to my mini Asian biotope. 
Here are some pics – the first as it was with the Guppies (and rampant Hornwort), the second of what it looks like now and a third of one of the Kuhlis.  I am not sure I am completely happy with it, I am thinking of anchoring the leaf down with some rock to give the loaches somewhere else to hide.  Sorry, this has been a bit long, hope you found it interesting.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:03:38 am by plankton »
125L
8 Sterbai Cory
9 Lemon Tetra
6 Amano Shrimp
1 Cardinal Tetra
1 Flame Tetra

200L
https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=70226.0
9 Kuhli Loach
8 Harlequins
1 Male Guppy
6 Malaya Shrimp
10 Eyespot Rasbora

90L
3 Bolivian Rams

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Euphoria

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 30
    • -Receive: 302
    Re: Nehpets Tank Change - 90L
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:17:43 am »
    That was a good read, tank looks miles better. Well done :)

Sent from my SM-C101 using Tapatalk

Offline looking-glass

• Thank You
    • -Given: 34
    • -Receive: 72
    « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:24:26 am »
    looking a lot better now keep the pics coming :)
    looking at your tank is far better than looking at your tv

Offline leeanne

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 100
    • -Receive: 818
    • I need a bigger tank!
    « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:40:25 am »
    Aw wee guppy fry must of been on the plants lucky! Looks a lot better now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Roma 240:  Angels tank
    6ft: Discus, Red head Geos, Phantom plecs
    200l work tank:  Keyhole Cichlid, dwarf rainbows, loads of cory and a BN

Offline Sonic

• Thank You
    • -Given: 63
    • -Receive: 112
    • Pleco Fanatico!
    « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:03 am »
    Looks lovely, one word of advice if I may.

When you have a slightly deep sand substrate, its best if you can get into it a little and stir it around, I had a deep sand base in mine and ended up with lots of black dead patches where bacteria was forming, even though the tank was full of MTS, so used one of those head massagers to stop it from happening. Made a big difference :)
    Manacapuru RedBack Angels, F1 Rio Nanay Spotted Angels, Breeding Groups L066,L333,L46,L397,L004,L121,L201,L260,L202,L134,L240,L199,L007,L270,L034,L255,L180,L059,Calico+SuperRed LF BN - L14, L114, L128, L200 Venezuelan Whiptails + Chameleon Whiptails

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:18:36 am »
    If you are considering putting a betta in with the khulis, let them grow on a lot first. Bettas think khulis are snacks......especially when they're baby loaches.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline nehpets81

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 01:56:50 pm »
    Thanks guys, whilst it definitely does look better, I am not sure about the spread-out arrangement of the plants - I guess I will wait and see how they grow, hopefully they will grow into the tank.  I wonder if the leaf will have sunk by the time I get home from work.

The substrate is sand on top of the JBL soil stuff, so possibly not as deep as it looks, but I will make sure I aggitate it occasionally to prevent any build up.

I crept in during the darkness last night and saw at least four of the Kuhlis out and about which I took as a good sign.  Thanks for the heads up about the Betta.  The Kuhlis definitely have some growing to go - they are about 4-5 cm at the moment but quite thin - how big do you think I should let them grow?  I am happy to leave it a while as I have the other tank to be getting on with in the mean time

Also, I'm sure the Guppy fry wouldn't last five minutes at its current size with a Betta so really not sure what to do with that.  Would they fit in with my Asian biotope?  My favorite fishy database seems to be down at the moment so I haven't been able to check their natural distribution.

125L
    8 Sterbai Cory
    9 Lemon Tetra
    6 Amano Shrimp
    1 Cardinal Tetra
    1 Flame Tetra

200L
    9 Kuhli Loach
    8 Harlequins
    1 Male Guppy
    6 Malaya Shrimp
    10 Eyespot Rasbora

90L
    3 Bolivian Rams

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:54 pm »
    The khulis need to at least double in size.
    Guppies are Central American, so not part of an Asian biotope.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline nehpets81

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 08:23:51 pm »
    Ok, thanks - I will leave it a while then.

Today I split the big Almond leaf and added a rock that used to be in the Guppy tank, hopefully to give the Kuhlis some other places to hide.

Today, the loaches have been out and about - one of them has been rushing up towards the flow of the filter outlet.  A lot like the Corys do after they are fed or after a water change.  Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour?  It is quite a strong swimmer and sometimes ends up behind the outlet so hope it doesn't get stuck.  The Ammonia/Nitrite levels are OK.

Last question - what kind of strength lighting should I be looking for given the planting levels?  It is definitely time I replaced the bulb but not sure what to go for...

So, more pics - first one of the slightly new layout (also note the rate of growth of the Hornwort on the left!).  The other one is George the Guppy fry. 
    125L
    8 Sterbai Cory
    9 Lemon Tetra
    6 Amano Shrimp
    1 Cardinal Tetra
    1 Flame Tetra

200L
    9 Kuhli Loach
    8 Harlequins
    1 Male Guppy
    6 Malaya Shrimp
    10 Eyespot Rasbora

90L
    3 Bolivian Rams

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 08:35:29 pm »
    Watch the loaches don't get in the filter......

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3272
    • -Receive: 2356
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:30:27 pm »
    Looking good :)
    I think the key with the shy bottom-dwellers (loaches, plecos etc) is to give them loads of places to hide, and then you will see them more. It's a bit like a game of musical chairs - if you know there are plenty of chairs (caves) you'll venture further from them.
    I set my first tank up for Kuhli loaches but ended up with Cories and a Pleco instead. They really appreciate the hiding places just the same and both my plecos (different tanks) are exhibitionists compared to most :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9 tropical tanks, 1 marine

Bred:
    Cichlids: Dicrossus filamentosus; Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Moanda'; Biotodoma cupido
    Catfish: Ancistrus 'Rio Paraguay'; Panaqolus sp. L397; Pseudolithoxus dumus; Farlowella vittata; Corydoras melini, burgessi, oiapoquensis
    Loaches: Pangio myersi
    Tetras: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae; Copella meinkeni

Offline nehpets81

• Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:25:24 am »
    I must say I am a little concerned about the loaches getting into the filter.  They would have to swim against the tide but they seem quite capable of that.  I think are a bit big for the fairly flat outlet but with a well calculated leap, they could probably do it.  I am a bit reluctant to put anything over the end at this stage that will reduce the turnover though.

I added a few more hiding places yesterday with an extra rock, which one loach is definitely interested in and the leaves.  Not sure what else to add - maybe I'll wait for the plants to grow/die.  They come out to play after dark at the moment (I crept in last night and saw three of them darting around).

My other tank has Cories in it - it is going to become a vague Brazilian biotope so it made sense to me to make the smaller tank Asian, which meant a great excuse to buy some loaches!  I did think about Dwarf Chain Loaches but although Maidenhead had some, they were still settling in having only recently arrived there so the Kuhlis won by default.
    125L
    8 Sterbai Cory
    9 Lemon Tetra
    6 Amano Shrimp
    1 Cardinal Tetra
    1 Flame Tetra

200L
    9 Kuhli Loach
    8 Harlequins
    1 Male Guppy
    6 Malaya Shrimp
    10 Eyespot Rasbora

90L
    3 Bolivian Rams

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 12:21:04 pm »
    I think they're more likely to get into externals, but occasionally they'll have a go to get in an internal.

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline nehpets81

• Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 05:01:33 pm »
    Hmm, well, it is an external filter so this is something I am going to have to keep an eye on.
    Other than this, not much has changed in this tank.  That one crazy Kuhli is still trying to escape, two others rush around the tank when the lights go out and one is much smaller, has taken to hiding under the new rock.

I like how they hide in the leaves which are curled over the top of them open to the front thinking nothing can see them but I can!

In other news, I think one of the Crypts is starting to melt, which was not unexpected.  This weekend I will make a start on the other tank, the loose Brazilian biotope...
    125L
    8 Sterbai Cory
    9 Lemon Tetra
    6 Amano Shrimp
    1 Cardinal Tetra
    1 Flame Tetra

200L
    9 Kuhli Loach
    8 Harlequins
    1 Male Guppy
    6 Malaya Shrimp
    10 Eyespot Rasbora

90L
    3 Bolivian Rams

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 08:39:00 am »
    Put a stocking or something around the bit that takes the water out of the tank. ;)

Take it easy
    Ian